35.17. A Torrid Start for a HOFer with Plaudits From a Fan

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

agrudez
Ex-GM

35.17. A Torrid Start for a HOFer with Plaudits From a Fan

Post by agrudez » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 am

Two weeks into the season, the Phantoms find themselves sitting comfortably at 6-5 thanks in large part to scoring the 2nd most runs in the league over that time period. While their are certainly some players underperforming in the early going, namely Gaona (.645 OPS), Parrish (.681 OPS) andHall (.25 OBP), in general players are individually humming along as expected - with one stark standout from the crowd: Sandcastle (1.505 OPS).

When asked about his hot start, the cheeky veteran oft responds with a combination of a smile, chuckle and "what, you don't think I can keep this up?" (the latter of which he says with a wink and a smirk). And he certainly has a reason to be enjoying the moment and bantering playfully with reporters. Through 10 games, the 39 year old is hitting .500 with a .400 SLG (9 singles, 3 doubles and 3 HRs) - which if it had occurred in the middle of June would barely raise an eye, but at the start of the season (when it's the only stat on the scoresheet) is impossible to ignore. Some of the media members that have developed a relationship with the future HoFer since he came over in the winter will often prod - playfully, obviously - Sandcastle on his below career average walk rate (.105 vs. .184) to start the year, which is one of the few lines that gets a bigger laugh from those assembled that Leon's own tongue-in-cheek jokes. Many of his Phantoms teammates (whom are in general very young and were already incredibly star struck when they first met Sandcastle in spring training) have taken to playfully asking for autographs from him after the game - in full view of the beat reporters to make sure the schtick gets press play, of course.

Some of the youngest players on the team; however, have taken their adoration to a different level - based on their lifelong fandom of their new teammate. David Hall, for example (whom you might remember had a difficult offseason dealing with the racial injustice that has plagued our nation since its inception) has gone out of his way to go on the record to multiple reporters about his feelings on his new outfield partner.

"I've been watching Leon my entire life. I still remember to this day getting his rookie card at 4 years old. He made the all-star game and won the Gillstrom that year... and I knew right away who I wanted to model my game after. A couple years later, I convinced my dad to take me to a Marquette game. Living in Illinois we were Suns fans, of course, but it was still a 3 hour drive up to the park and we were poor growing up. That game we went to, though - the only one I got to see before he was dealt to Montreal the next season - Leon put on a show... and at 5 years old I couldn't help but feel like he did it for me, personally."

Considering what he went through in the offseason (and the pair having that hardship in common both being African Americans), Hall was one of the first players on his new team that Sandcastle reached out to - so he learned quickly of his new teammate's lifelong fandom of him. When questioned about it back in spring training, Sandcastle had the following to say.

"It was strange at first, but beautiful, too. I've been in this league a long, long time... and to see now the lives I've touched by just playing a game - it makes me feel like I did something more than I probably really did. It feels good."

During Sandcastle's torrid start, Hall has gotten a front row seat. Not only does he play alongside him in the field (LF and CF, respectively), but Leon also took it upon himself to request that the pair's lockers be placed together. Hall was already living his life long dream as a ballplayer, but now? He's living his life long dream as a fan.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 35.17. A Torrid Start for a HOFer with Plaudits From a F

Post by RonCo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 am

Nice.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic