Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 41.171: Black Sox To Induct Fernando Moreno Into Team Hall of Honor

Post by HoosierVic » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:36 pm

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The Chicago Black Sox announced this week they will enshrine retired slugger and long-time Huntsville Phantoms hero Fernando Moreno into the organization’s Hall of Honor.

Moreno, who retired in 2037 and was inducted into the Brewster Hall of Fame a year later, is the first player who made his reputation solely with the Huntsville Phantoms to be enshrined in the team’s Hall of Honor.

Fernando Moreno
The Black Sox began life in Chicago in 1973, playing there until 2020 when a former owner moved the team to Alabama and dubbed them the Huntsville Phantoms. They played in Huntsville through the 2039 season, when new team owner and Chicago-area businessman Vinnie Vitale moved the team back to Illinois and restored their old name.

“We’ve been inclined, up to now, to honor our Chicago heritage in choosing players for the Hall of Honor, but we’d be remiss not to make Fernando one of the first members,” said Sox General Manager Vic Caleca. “He was a truly great player and you can find him throughout the list of all-time offensive leaders in franchise history.”

Moreno played in 1,333 games for the Phantoms, slashing .279/.385/.547 and hitting 382 homers, knocking in 957 runs, and posting 58.2 WAR. Over his entire BBA career – which included stints with Las Vegas, Long Beach, California and Havana – he slashed .261/.368/.512 with 562 homers, 1,408 RBIs, and 66.8 WAR.

He won two Sawyer Silk awards, in 2028 and 2029; 5 Puckett awards at first base; 3 Landis Titles, in 2023, 2028, and 2035; 15 BBA Player of the Week awards; 5 BBA Batter of the Month awards; and made the All-Star team 6 times.

Moreno was pleased by his selection, but a bit irked by the timing.

“Huh. I was wondering when they’d get around to me,” he said in a telephone interview after the selection was announced by Caleca at a Black Sox Park news conference.

“I’d been kinda hoping to be inducted while the team was still in Huntsville, since I never played in Chicago, but whatever. It’s a nice gesture, and I’m told there’s a fruit basket in it for me. That’s cool. I like fruit.”

Moreno is expected to attend the ceremony unveiling his new Hall of Honor plaque over the Thanksgiving weekend in Chicago.

“Oh, yeah, I’ll be there,” Moreno said. “I want to meet this Vinnie guy everybody’s talking about.”

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Sox Scoops 41.171: Black Sox To Induct Fernando Moreno Into Team Hall of Honor

Post by RonCo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:12 pm

Well done.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”