GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

tylertoo
Ex-GM

49.06 New Black Sox DH to Fans: "Call Me Ismael"

Post by tylertoo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:40 pm

New Black Sox DH to Fans:
"Call Me Ismael"

Chicago, July 28, 2049 -- The Black Sox front office continued its lineup tinkering with a low-risk trade, acquiring DH Ismael Alfonzo from the Boise spuds for a mid-level prospect, SP Nasîr Tagmaç. Alfonzo tweeted that he was thrilled to join the Chi-town squad, telling fans they should think of him as a friend: "Call me Ismael," he urged them.

Ismael's arrival is part of GM Mike Dunn's effort to boost the team at the plate. The Black Sox currently are hitting just .254, a decidedly mediocre rate that mirrors the squad's 52-51 record. The acquisition allows Dunn to demote to AAA little used IF/DH Michael Mackeon, who at age 24 could use more regular playing time at AAA. The current DH, Robby Clements, moves to a back-up role at 1B and DH, a move that in our view is long overdue.

Ismael was a fourth round pick of the Spuds back in 2038, and made the big league club in 2043. His career batting average is .283 but this year he's been hotter at the plate, hitting .305 with a .320 OBP. With the Black Sox salary total just $2 million under the $110 million cap, Dunn's options to bolster the lineup were limited, making Ismael -- with a $1.1 million salary this season -- affordable.

The trade follows another notable roster move by Dunn: the promotion of 23-year old infield prospect Asil Çölasan to bolster the and infield defense. Team sources say fans should expect more tinkering at the edges in the coming weeks.

Whether or not these moves can make a difference is the key question. The Black Sox are currently 4-and-a-half games out of the final wildcard spot in the Frick League, tied with Vancouver and behind Madison and Louisville. "It's not too late to make a run," said Dunn in response to calls by fans that it is time to throw in the towel on the season and sell. "I'm not a seller until we're in the cellar."
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: 49.06 New Black Sox DH to Fans: "Call Me Ismael"

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:53 pm

Now just sign a Qweequag and you’ve got the set.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”