Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 41.007 "Two Sox Win Fielding Honors"

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:44 pm

By Mike Talley
Black Sox Beat Writer

Chicago Sports Online

The Frick League has honored two Chicago Black Sox players as the best fielders at their positions by naming them as Yogi Zimmer Diamond Glove Award winners.

Manny Cleide was named his league's top right fielder for the second year in a row, while Rocky Wattson was named the best fielding second baseman. Cleide received 30 of the 32 votes cast by general managers in the Brewster Baseball Association and the Unified Middle East Baseball Association, while Wattson received 28 of 32.
Rocky Wattson

“Hey – my glove’s almost as good as my ‘stache,” said Wattson, who is known throughout the league for his trademark Napolean III Imperial style mustache. “Although nothing’s really as good as my ‘stache.”

Cleide, who was reached at home in St. Louis, seemed pleased by the news.

Manny Cleide
“Awesome,” he said. “Hey, I forget - is that glove really a diamond? Do I need to get that thing insured? Will the league cover that?”

Cleide and Wattson were key parts of Chicago’s league-leading defense, which sparkled throughout the season.

According to Brewster StatsPlus, the Black Sox led the entire BBA with a Total Zone Rating of 42.95. Mexico City, which ranked second in ZR, had 25.32. The Sox also led the BBA in Defensive Efficiency at .734, with Yellow Springs ranking second at .721.

Finally, the Sox also led in the RonCo Data Company’s proprietary Defense By Plays Made Above Average, with a season total of 99.1. Las Vegas, which ranked second, had 57.7.

Wattson whistled appreciatively when told just how good the Chicago defense had been in 2040.

“Man, if we could’ve hit or pitched worth a damn, we would’ve been something,” he said.

“But still not as good as my ‘stache.”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”