Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

The Nest | 53.01 | Position Filled

Post by Dington » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:34 pm

Position Filled

December 1, 2052
by Banjo Jackson
Nashville, TN

Martinho Salgado might not be a familiar name to Bluebirds fan, so when he retired from AAA at the end of the season, most people probably didn’t even realize he ever existed. However, the Bluebirds organization has had plans for him that extend beyond his playing career, so when told he had a future in coaching, Salgado had to weigh his options and consider a gig as manager.

To be blunt, Salgado was likely never going to see a BBA field in his lifetime, at least not as a player. The former second baseman was alright at hitting, albeit nothing special, and his glove and running skills were more in line with those of a designated hitter. In fact, his skills were not good enough for the championship winning Orlando Oranges, so he was cut in June in favor of younger players. After not finding a new club to join, he retired at the end of the season.

Martinho Salgado

“I remember Mr. Nason told me I was a good teacher,” said Salgado. “He is like a father to me and said when my playing career was done I could help others, so instead of wasting my time trying to fulfill my dream of being a BBA baseball player, I jumped into an early career change. I couldn’t provide for my family with the minor league salary. I’ve got six mouths to feed.”

The 26 year old Venezuelan native jumped into action when he saw the vacant hitting coach position with the Santo Domingo Sea Turtles.

When asked about the new hire, Nason said “I’m not sure who you’re talking about. I noticed there weren’t any reputable hitting coaches willing to coach in the Caribbean, so I delegated the task. Last I knew it was still on Craigslist, but glad someone signed up. I bet this Marty guy is cool, though.”
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

pandan
Ex-GM

Re: The Nest | 53.01 | Position Filled

Post by pandan » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:10 am

Enjoy stories like this -- the minor league -> coaching pipeline doesn't get enough discussion. Hope it works out!

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: The Nest | 53.01 | Position Filled

Post by Dington » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:48 am

pandan wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:10 am
Enjoy stories like this -- the minor league -> coaching pipeline doesn't get enough discussion. Hope it works out!
I think he was the only position player to retire in my system this past season. Took a gamble and he turned out to be a pretty good coach.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Nashville Bluebirds”