Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

The Nest | 43.02 | Playoff Push

Post by Dington » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:13 pm

Playoff Push

August 18, 2043
by Banjo Jackson
Nashville, TN

Welcome back to The Nest, your home for all the latest Nashville Bluebirds news. The Birds welcomed new GM, Chad Nason, with a warm reception, winning six games in his first week at the helm. After another depressing 3-5 loss to Long Beach Surfers, the Bluebirds returned home to sweep Omaha. The Birds then went on to host the Twin Cities River Monsters in a crucial matchup that could help decide who gets into the playoffs.

LHP Chin Kim came out victorious in a pitcher’s duel against River Monsters LHP Josh Brown in the first game of Saturday’s double header. Chin allowed just three hits and no runs in his 7.0 IP to be named player of the game. CF Kidane Ata produced the game’s only two runs with a two-run shot in the sixth inning. There was a brief scare, however, as Steve Nebraska candidate, Lorenzo de’ Medici, had to be examined after the game following his 17th save of the season.

“It was purely cautionary,” said Nason. “We just want to be really careful with our pitchers, so when de’ Medici only struck out three batters in 2.0 IP, it raises some red flags. Turns out he just had a partied a little too hard Friday night following the sweep of Omaha and had a couple lingering effects. No further treatment was needed besides the standard bag of ice on his shoulder.”

Lorenzo de' Medici

While de’ Medici seems to be fine, it should be noted that he has already accumulated 129.2 IP out of the bullpen. With his electric arm in addition to that usage, it will be important to monitor his long term health. His 17.1 K/9 and 247 strikeouts are things of legend, but he just signed a six year extension, so the future has to be considered.

The River Monsters got to opener, Ta-heng Hor, for 6 ER. The Bluebirds were able to erase that deficit to take 7-6 lead, however, after 5 beautiful innings, the River Monsters got to Gustavo Muñóz for a pair of runs in the top of the 8th inning to go on to split the doubleheader.

The Bluebirds didn’t let the loss get to their heads and RHP Eru Likiliki made sure to let Twin Cities know who was going to get that last wildcard spot. Likiliki allowed just one hit in 7.0 IP as the Bluebirds easily went on to claim an 8-0 victory for the second time in as many starts for the Samoan. A subject of trade deadline rumors, Likiliki displayed his value to Nason and the front office.

“I go to relief for couple game. I like start game with ball. I show coach I start game and get win. But I love team and want to stay wherever coach puts me” said Likiliki.

Eru Likiliki

Over his past four appearances, Likiliki has logged 16.1 IP while allowing just 4 H, 2 BB, and 0 R while striking out 23. He will become a free agent at season’s end and has not yet been extended by Nashville. He is rebuilding his value quite amazingly and it will be interesting to see if Nason gets a haul of prospects for the pitcher or hangs onto him for the playoff push. If his performance continues, an extension could be in the talks.

Nashville continued their dominance with a 12-2 victory on Monday. The Bluebirds slugged five homers, including two from 1B Ernesto Sousa. RHP Elliot Buckland thre 5.1 IP, allowing 1 ER to pick up his 14th win of the season.

The Bluebirds have just finished the first part of a tough stretch that sees them play 24 games in 24 days. Hopefully the pitching staff can hold up during that time, but to make matter worse, RP Israel Villa was sent to the IL and is expected to miss three months with a herniated disc. Nason will have to scramble to keep this staff in one piece or else they will surely lose their grasp on that final wildcard spot.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Return to “Nashville Bluebirds”