GM: Chad Nason

Moderator: Dington

recte44
GB: Commissioner

A Flock of Bluebirds 2042.15- Buckland Taking Charge

Post by recte44 » Thu May 14, 2020 6:30 pm

A Flock of Bluebirds 2042.15- Buckland Taking Charge
September 15, 2042

Flashback to the Trade Deadline of the 2040 season. New Nashville GM Matt Rectenwald had seen enough of his new club to know that he probably had to move star right fielder Justin Jackson in order to really kick start the rebuild of the franchise. Indeed, a deal was struck with the Omaha Hawks. Alonso Olvere was to be Jackson's replacement in right field while prospects Rafael Flores and Gilberto Rivera would soon be integral parts of the pitching staff. It didn't turn out that way, with Olvere ultimately being shipped to Las Vegas, Flores still battling injuries, and Rivera seemingly topped off at Class AA ball.

"It's a damn good thing we got Elliot Buckland in that deal," chuckled Rectenwald. Buckland was thought to be nothing more than a salary cap related inclusion in the deal, which at the time seemed to mark the bottom of what had been a promising career marred significantly by injuries.

It all started with the seemingly cursed San Antonio Outlaws. The Outlaws made Buckland the 9th overall pick in the 2029 draft and he was in their rotation by 2031. Over his first four seasons he was a fairly decent and reliable starter, with scores of short term and day to day ailments. Then came the bigger injuries.

03/21/2036 Injured (Herniated disc (back)), out for 3 months.
02/28/2037 Injured (Partially torn labrum), out for 4 months.
05/13/2038 Injured (Elbow ligament reconstruction surgery), out for 13 months.

Immediately after the surgery, the Outlaws granted Buckland his immediate and unconditional release. Nine days later, the Calgary Pioneers took a flier on Buckland, giving him a minor league deal to rehab with them and later negotiating a cheap two year deal worth a total of $2.8 million. A bargain for a pitcher of his ilk, if healthy. The big if.

Buckland went to Spring Training with Calgary in 2039 healthy and ready to go. Just as quickly as they had committed to him, they pulled the plug for some reason and waived the veteran hurler. Louisville claimed him and Buckland responded by earning 3.4 WAR, easily the best since the injuries and second only to his 2034 season of 3.8 WAR.
05/07/2039 Injured (Back spasms), day-to-day for 5 days.
06/26/2039 Injured (Shoulder tendinitis), out for 5 weeks.
09/13/2039 Injured (Blurred vision), day-to-day for one week.
09/14/2039 Injured (Strained oblique), day-to-day for 4 weeks.
11/11/2039 Finished 3rd in 2039 BBA JL Comeback Player of the Year voting.

Buckland was once again healthy in 2040, and earned a spot in Louisville's rotation. Through six starts, Bucklans was healthy but ineffective (1-4, 6.81 ERA). The Sluggers agreed to trade him to the Omaha Hawks (along with Lando Klomp for P Marvin Atkinson, 3B Rafael Gutierrez and CF Lorenzo Bueno). "Snow God" pitched well for Omaha (22 GS, 8-11, 4.45 ERA) and only had minor day to day ailments:
07/23/2040 Injured (Strained oblique), day-to-day for 4 weeks.
07/29/2040 Injured (Strained oblique), day-to-day for 5 days.
08/10/2040 Injured (Back stiffness), day-to-day for one week.
08/17/2040 Injured (Back spasms), day-to-day for 5 days.

Then came the trade to Nashville. "I wasn't expecting it, mate," said the native of Melbourne, Australia. "But I get the business, and so I packed up my vegemite and my Men At Work album collection and got on a plane to join my new mates."

It didn't go particularly well in his month plus debut for the Bluebirds. "I was adjusting, you know," Buckland explained. "This was my third team of the year, but she'll be alright. Ain't gonna whinge about it. I wanted them to know I was a Fair Dinkum and I'd be ripper the next season."

Despite the results, Rectenwald agreed with Buckland's assessment and locked him up to a three year deal worth a potential $23,820,000. Criticism of the deal was immediate and deafening. "I didn't give a crap, honestly," Rectenwald said at the time of the deal. "People can say what they want. I know Buck is going to make a difference during this deal. Just wait."

After a winter of waiting, fans were ready to see Buckland make good on Rectenwald's promise when the 2041 season opened. They got two starts, the second of which resulted in the trainer pulling him from the game. "Looks like I might be taking a sickie on the season again," a dejected Buckland said after announcing that doctors diagnosed shoulder inflammation but surgery was not going to be on the table. "I'm no bloody bludger, mates," Buckland said defiantly. "Buckleys chance of me coming back this year but I wont be having barbies in the arvo, I'll be flat out doing hard yakka. Woop Woop!"

Buckland once again had to return to Spring Training in 2042 to re-establish himself for what seemingly was the millionth time. "Rapt to be here, mates," Buckland exclaimed at the outset of camp. "No wucka's. Alright me 'ol cobblers?"

Rectenwald explained to Buckland early in camp that this would not be the usual season for the veteran righty, now 34 years of age. "I told him straight out that he might start some games, he may relieve at times," said Rectenwald. "Knowing that he'd only pitched in relief 2 games out of 201 coming into the season I thought it was important to let him know."

It wasn't easy for Buckland to accept at first. "Don't go crook on me for getting crook, Bruce," he reportedly told the GM after the meeting. "It's my bloody oath to do what's right for my mates. I'll be flat out like a lizard drinking. No drama."

In April, Buckland pitched in three games, starting two. In May, wanting to get him involved in more games, he pitched exclusively in relief for the first time in his career. The results? 7 G, 1-0, 0.00 ERA, 11.1 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 8 K. "Pretty good stuff there, don't you think," mused Rectenwald.

Back to a hybrid role in June and July. 8 G, 5 GS, 4-2, 40.2 IP, 46 H, 20 ER, 12 BB, 30 K. "Not great, not terrible," Rectenwald stated.

On August 8th, Buckland pitched in his first game of the month and in what would be his last relief appearance to date. He was put into the rotation beginning August 12th and since then he has been the ace the Bluebirds have needed.
buckland.png
Can Buckland keep it up and get Nashville into the playoffs? Currently one game back of Chicago for the last Frick League Wild Card spot, Buckland thinks his team can do it.

"We got this," Buckland said. "Don't crack the shits. She'll be apples."

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: A Flock of Bluebirds 2042.15- Buckland Taking Charge

Post by RonCo » Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Awesome.

You gotta like Buckland.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Hope I didnt do a bunch of research on Australian slang for nothing :)

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Thu May 14, 2020 8:51 pm

recte44 wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 pm
Hope I didnt do a bunch of research on Australian slang for nothing :)
I certainly Googled "crack the shits" and "a Buckley's chance" and now I will try to work them in my vernacular from time to time to keep people on their toes.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu May 14, 2020 9:03 pm

I spent about a week in Melbourne. It's an awesome city.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Thu May 14, 2020 9:03 pm

And yes, the lingo was great.
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic