GM: Chad Nason

Moderator: Dington

recte44
GB: Commissioner

A Flock of Bluebirds 2041.10- Unorthodox Move Pays Off Big

Post by recte44 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:24 pm

A Flock of Bluebirds 2041.10- Unorthodox Move Pays Off Big
June 16, 2041

Twenty-three games into the 2041 season, the Nashville Bluebirds found themselves with a 14-9 record, surprising most of the Brewster Baseball Association. So when pitching coach Horace Young was summoned to Assistant General Manager Grant Hardin's office after a 7-3 loss to the Chicago Black Sox on April 27th, he expected that it was just another planning session with the team brass. It was not.

"Honestly I expected we would talk about the upcoming games and any personnel decisions," said Young, who was in his second season as the Bluebirds GM. "Instead, Grant told me they were making a change." Young would be re-assigned to AAA Orlando to serve as their pitching coach. "I understand that this isn't personal, it's business," Young admitted. The Bluebirds, despite their solid start, had allowed 141 runs in the first 23 games, an average of 6.13 runs allowed per game. "For whatever reason the guys weren't responding to me," Young stated, plainly. "I'm an organizational guy and I'm sure Grant knew that I wouldn't fight a move that might be best for the team."

The move wouldn't have been made if Hardin didn't have someone in mind to replace Young, and he clearly did. Mike Ellison has served as the pitching coach for the Bluebirds' Double-A affiliate in High Point since 2040, with great success. He helped to lead High Point to a playoff berth last season and was being held in high regard by the front office. Approached by Hardin with the offer to join the big club as pitching coach, he jumped at the chance.

The results have been striking. In the 43 games since Ellison took over, Nashville has allowed 178 runs, an average of just 4.14 per game. Through the first month of the season Nashville was among the bottom of most pitching categories. The story is much different now:

PITCHING STATS & RANKINGS
Earned Run Average 4.61 - 2nd in FL
Starters' ERA 4.87 - 3rd in FL
Bullpen ERA 4.18 - 2nd in FL
Runs allowed 319 - 1st in FL
Hits allowed 618 - 6th in FL
Opponents AVG .270 - 7th in FL
BABIP .309 - 10th in FL
Home Runs allowed 71 - 1st in FL
Bases On Balls 198 - 5th in FL
Strikeouts 467 - 9th in FL

Return to “Nashville Bluebirds”