GM: Chad Nason

Moderator: Dington

recte44
GB: Commissioner

A Flock of Bluebirds 2041.8- Ammy Draft Rds. 1-5

Post by recte44 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:17 pm

A Flock of Bluebirds 2041.8- Ammy Draft Rds. 1-5
May 19, 2041

Nashville had a pick in each of the first five rounds of the 2041 Ammy Draft as they look to add some semblance of young talent to their uninspiring minor league system.

Round 1, 19th Overall Pick: Ivan Ruiz (RHP)
ivan ruiz.png
ivan ruiz stats.png
Ruiz was an easy pick for Nashville at #19 overall. Three outstanding seasons as a starter in the International Finishing Academy along with his pure talent make him a top starting pitcher prospect. He's a hard thrower with the frame to pitch a bunch of innings. Ruiz has a four pitch arsenal, all of which are in different stages of development. Can the change develop? That's the usual question for any pitching prospect and Ruiz is no exception.

OFP: 55 (#3/#4 Starting Pitcher)
ETA: 2044

Round 2, 67th Overall Pick: Abay Azzouzj (RF)
abay azzouzj.png
abay azzouzj stats.png
Azzouzj was a two year High School star from South Africa who is quite intriguing. Though he's a righty, he profiles as an above average bat in all areas, and a propensity of putting balls in play more often than not. Currently he's a right fielder, but Nashville plans to utilize him all of the outfield corners, starting with third base. He's also a decent baserunner with good speed. Nothing about his intangibles jumps off the page in either direction.

OFP: 45 (Platoon/Utility Player)
ETA: 2045

Round 3, 121nd Overall Pick: David Velez (RHP)
david velez.png
david velez stats.png
At first glance, Velez doesn't look like much (4/5/6 POT as a SP). Digging a little deeper shows us that he's a sidearm pitcher with a four pitch arsenal. Could he start? Sure, but he's going to play up quite nicely as a reliever (most sidearm pitchers do). His stats have been pretty good overall, and with his intelligence being off the charts, maybe Velez can be a bumper?

OFP: 45 (#5 Starter/Low Setup)

Round 4, 163rd Overall Pick: Orlando Lopez (SS)
orlando lopez.png
orlando lopez stats.png
Lopez was pegged as a glove first prospect, which he is, but the Bluebirds see in him a player that can continue to develop as an offensive player. When you have a guy with the defensive skills Lopez has, mixed with an off the charts work ethic and he's a lefty bat, you take notice. Furthermore, the Nashville brass puts an emphasis on season by season progression in the amateur ranks and Lopez had a three year trend that raised lots of eyebrows in the draft war room.

OFP: 40 (Bench Player)

Round 5, 195th Overall Pick: Kane Thurman (RHP)
kane thurman.png
kane thurman stats.png
Thurman was a three year starting pitcher in high school and a pretty darned good one. Labeled as a SP going into the draft, he fell off the radar a bit before being scooped up by Nashville here. Obviously he'll be groomed as a reliever as he develops. He's a beast of a young man at 6'7" and at 197 pounds he can grow into his frame yet.

OFP: 50 (High Setup/Low Closer)
ETA: 2044

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: A Flock of Bluebirds 2041.8- Ammy Draft Rds. 1-5

Post by shoeless.db » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:25 am

I like these guys. Thurman was high on my board and would have been my fifth pick. I think you found a solid reliever there.
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Re: A Flock of Bluebirds 2041.8- Ammy Draft Rds. 1-5

Post by lordtoffee » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:30 pm

I have to echo the praise on Thurman. He looks like a very solid bullpen piece. I think Velez is probably going to be a great compliment and a great change of pace reliever for Nashville. Who knows, maybe Thurman and Velez can be a dynamic duo.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Nashville Bluebirds”