The Goat Rope 2036.1

GM: Chad Nason

Moderator: Dington

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

The Goat Rope 2036.1

Post by GoldenOne » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:29 pm

As he heads into his second full season as the Goats Beat Reporter, James Olsen III caught up with Juan Jose Ornelas,the new Montgomery Admirals Pitching Coach, before he departed Nashville.

Last season, the Goats obtained Ornelas from the Brooklyn Robins for 18 yo Pitcher
Damian Ramírez from Rookie Ball, Shreveport. Ornelas did not see much action for the Goats in 2035. However, once he announced his end-of-season retirement a little over half way through the season, at both at home and away games, people came out to the park in the hopes of seeing the potential future Hall of Famer one last time.

After being brought to Nashville in mid-May, Ornelas only saw action in 11 games. He finished with a 6.46 ERA and 1.7 WHIP through 15.1 innings. He gave up 5 HRs and had 7 Ks compared to 4 BBs.

In his 15 BBA seasons, the 5-times All Star finished with a record of 188-134, a 3.64 ERA, and 2,668 Ks in 2,959.1 innings (good for a cummulative 65.4 WAR.) Ornelas's best season was in 2031 when he finished the season as the Nebraska Award winner, after finishing second four other times (2024, 2025, 2028, and 2029.) Ornelas was no slouch after the ball left his hand either, winning three Zimmer Diamond Glove Awards in 2023, 2026, 2031.

When Olsen asked Ornelas about how becoming the Pitching Coach for Montgomery played out, Ornelas said, "That's a good question. It seemed to happen rather quickly and sort-of matter-of-factly. In late August, I was on the treadmill next to GM Golden - I hadn't seen him since my first day with the Goats - and he just casually mentioned how he thought I would be too bored in retirement and that he was sending my agent a contract for me to be the Pitching Coach for Montgomery. After that, he got off the treadmill, walked away, and I dont think I have seen him since then. Sure enough though, my agent called me less than 10 minutes later and here we are."

When asked why he took the job, Ornelas replied, "Look, I'm not sure if you're aware, but GM Golden has this plan. Excuse me, The Plan. Its exciting to see. I'm not really sure what The Plan is, but I do know there is a bunch of pretty good, young pitchers coming up through the Goats' system and I feel like I can be a big part of getting them to the big club."

"Look, before I signed the deal, I reached out to people within the San Antonio organization to see if there was any interest in having me in a similar position for them. Nobody returned my phone calls so it was an easy decision."

As we've become accustomed too, GM Golden was not available for comment. Assistant GM John Scott did have a comment, however. "Why would we do this? Have you ever really talked to JJ? He's a super-smart guy. We've got a lot of young guys in the pipeline. This is a guy that threw five different pitches. I have no doubt he'll be a good fit down in Montgomery and help the Admirals, as well as the Goats, for years to come."
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: The Goat Rope 2036.1

Post by recte44 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Nice!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Nashville Bluebirds”