BBA GM

Hawks Nest, v27.5 - Checking the Locks: 2B

Post by trmmilwwi » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:31 am

SECOND BASE

SURE FIRE LOCKS: Mario “Irony” Garcia

HOPEFULS: Jose “Tangles” Rivera

LONG SHOT: Haywood Smith

Analysis:

Irony Garcia was brought over from Greenville in the Rodgers trade that netted the Hawks their 2B for the foreseeable future. Garcia was relegated to SS due to that Workman kid they have. Since taking back over at 2B for the Hawks he has been under-performing defensively but I expect that to pick back up. I love this kid at the top of the lineup as he had a .307/1/47 stat line with 30 SB’s. He walks very little, 13 last season, so he is not what I like to have as a prototypical leadoff guy (my favorite player growing up was Rickey*). At 29 Garcia is a bit older than my preferred long term solution but so it goes. Greenville does things to people.

What was Halifax’s gain in the Garcia deal is Tangles’ loss. He was the starting 2B but his range (much debated recently) and the fact he is longer in the tooth than Garcia have made him expendable. Since Garcia plays every freekin day it is unlikely that Tangles makes the roster.

Should Tangles not be around the next man in line is Smith. He is all defense and no offense. I hate that solution but desperate times would call for desperate measures. Again, if we get to this option we’re in trouble.

*He only needs the first name, amiright.
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

udlb58
Ex-GM

Re: Hawks Nest, v27.5 - Checking the Locks: 2B

Post by udlb58 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:26 pm

Workman wasn't in Greenville with Garcia. I'm assuming Gates played Garcia at short because they just didn't have any real shortstops. It most certainly wasn't to make room for Meilaart

He's still an okay player, probably a middle-of-the-pack to bottom third 2B, depending on how high his average is in a given year.

Tangles might actually be a viable 27th man....Smith makes me vomit (I mean, his defense isn't even good for a guy with no offensive ability). Everyone in the JLA hopes he sees playing time
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Nashville Bluebirds”