Ex-GM

2024 #14 Lightnin Hopkins Named Hawk Unsung Hero

Post by scottsdale_joe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:25 pm

Halifax Hawk 2024 Unsung Hero Award
Outfielder Lightnin Hopkins
by Caitlen Sullivan
Halifax Chronicle Herald Sports Editor
November 11, 2024

The Halifax Team Awards are voted upon by the Nova Scotia media – radio, television, newspaper, and blog.

HALIFAX HAWKS UNSUNG HERO

Outfielder Lightnin Hopkins

As 2024 rolled around Lightnin Hopkins’s career looked at best pretty much reduced to shuffling between AAA and the majors, maybe filling in as a defensive replacement or playing a bit when injuries struck. In fact, he was a long shot not to be cut altogether by the Hawks. But the vagaries of baseball worked in his favor. Cisco Guerrero was ready for a chance to play regularly at first base. (Indeed, he won the Johnson League Rookie of the Year award there.) That meant that Bo Jordan would be shifted to designated hitter role. That, in turn, meant another rookie, Edgar Jones, would have to play in left field despite his defensive shortcomings. So, the Hawks needed a proficient center fielder with good range to compensate for the liabilities in left.

Spotlight on Lightnin! OK, maybe he wasn’t going to hit much, but he could play center field with great range, a good arm, and not make many errors. And he could run the bases. He won the job in Spring Training and never relinquished it. In fact, he started 158 games and managed a less than ideal but adequate under the circumstances .233 average. He led the Hawks in stolen bases with 25. And he provided the necessary defense. Good job.

Lightnin will never be an All Star, but he showed up every day and did was required of him without fanfare and without complaints. Sure, the Hawks may look for a center fielder who can field AND hit for next year, but, if they cannot find one, he’ll be back to do the job again.

felipe
Ex-GM

Re: 2024 #14 Lightnin Hopkins Named Hawk Unsung Hero

Post by felipe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:16 pm

cant go wrong with a Hopkins'

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:00 pm

+1 ZR and nearly -1 WAR. I think more than enough songs were sung.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:50 pm

agrudez wrote:+1 ZR and nearly -1 WAR. I think more than enough songs were sung.
Frigging new age stats. They are soooo overrated.
Anyway, you can't even imagine how bad the WAR and ZR of anyone else I had available to play CF would have been..
I am very happy with what he did. I needed it and he did it.
:shrug: :popcorn: :pickles:
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:56 am

agrudez wrote:+1 ZR and nearly -1 WAR. I think more than enough songs were sung.
This. I love Lightnin' (mainly because he was a Hopkins I could shove in Stu's face :P), but he's not the young whippersnapper that he used to be.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Nashville Bluebirds”