Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

The Nest | 56.11 | Bishr Extended

Post by Dington » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:45 pm

Bishr Extended

September 2, 2056
by Banjo Jackson
Nashville, TN

With the 2056 season coming to an end, many Bluebirds fans began thinking past the postseason and what the 2057 season would look like given many stars were at risk of not returning. Of course, two time Silk winner, Wafid Bishr, was a major threat of departure, but the front office made it a priority to sign the star player and offered him a 6 year $80 million contract.

“It was one of the biggest birthday gifts I’ve ever received,” said GM Chad Nason. “When I received confirmation in the morning that Wafid had agreed to return, I immediately began celebrating with adult beverages. It’s a special signing for me because Wafid was one of the first signings I made as GM of the Bluebirds. He was an IFA sitting on the market and we pounced when we saw him still available. He’s like a son to me.”

Turns out the IFA signing was a good investment. Bishr spent a little more than four seasons in the Nashville’s farm and became the #1 ranked BBA prospect before making an immediate impact at the BBA level upon his call up in 2050. His contributions in his inaugural season proved the hype was real as he helped lead Nashville to their first championship since 2017. In 2051, his first full season, Bishr annihilated the Frick League with a 1.088 OPS and 8.0 WAR on the way to his first Silk award. Not willing to succumb to a sophomore slump, he continued his torrid pace and garnered 8.7 WAR in 2052 to claim his second consecutive Silk award. Injuries were the only thing to finally slow him down in 2053, but still managed 4.6 WAR in 124 games. Since then, Bishr has been a staple of the Bluebirds potent offense and consistently putting up ~4+ WAR/season numbers. Over the course of his career, he has averaged 6.0 WAR a season. However, re-signing the star player wasn’t a no-brainer.

1B Wafid Bishr

Despite being a perennial Silk candidate, the Bluebirds are loaded with talent waiting to burst onto the scene. As gifted of a hitter as he is, Bishr is not very valuable on defense and has spent most of his time in the DH role as of late. Helmut Grün has been sharing DH/1B reps with Bishr and newcomer, Majd bin Nawaf, appears to be a lethal offensive weapon without a proper position. Roger Kidd isn‘t the best option defensively, but has been forced into the outfield because his bat is also outstanding. Now, you’ve got Colby Triska hoping to play 1B so he isn’t forced to play a cringey 2B and top prospect, Jorge Canó, ready to get reps in 2057.

Another wrench in the extension plans were other pending free agents who needed to be signed amid salary cap restraints. Three-time Silk winner, Juan Rivera, was on pace to win a fourth this season before missing several weeks with a torn hamstring. However, he is still a leading candidate despite the missed time and becomes a free agent at season’s end. Ollie Lowry has been a force out of the Nashville bullpen, but wants a starting pitcher role and top of the rotation money. The aforementioned Grün has a player option on 2057 for $11 million, but after a career year, he will likely seek free agency.

Alas, the Bluebirds decided to remain loyal to their homegrown talent and signed Bishr. In parts of 7 seasons, Bishr has accumulated 230 HR and 108 SB while slashing .301/.371/.567. Now that his future is locked up, he can focus on the most important goal: bringing home another championship in 2056.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: The Nest | 56.11 | Bishr Extended

Post by Lane » Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:10 pm

Meh. Can't hit righties
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Dington

Post by Dington » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:13 pm

Lane wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:10 pm
Meh. Can't hit righties
.848 OPS vs RHP this season. Not amazing, but plenty good and he can run. Plus he got a loyalty contract.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
Kuwait City GM 2042-43

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:56 am

I'm surprised you locked-in with Bishr and Rivera. It could get tricky when some of your youngsters are in like year two of arbitration.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Dington

Post by Dington » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:57 am

BaseClogger wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:56 am
I'm surprised you locked-in with Bishr and Rivera. It could get tricky when some of your youngsters are in like year two of arbitration.
Rivera will be gone by the time arb hits my guys. He'll probably really just be a one year guy and I'll cut bait once he starts to decline. Bishr might get tricky, but he has an opt out and I always have the option of trading him since he didn't request a NTC. I really wasn't planning on extending Bishr, but I calculated I had the money to do so and didn't see anyone coming up in FA who would've made my team better than Bishr, even though don't really need him.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
Kuwait City GM 2042-43

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Nashville Bluebirds”