Slugger Shavings 2059.4 - Kwakou Gainfully Employed

GM: Brian Pinnell

Moderator: RT60

RT60
BBA GM

Slugger Shavings 2059.4 - Kwakou Gainfully Employed

Post by RT60 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:06 pm

As those gathered to attend Semei Kwakou's number retirement ceremony began to get restless and get up to leave, GM BP threw a metaphorical curveball their way.

"You all probably thought Semei flew here all the way from Nigeria just to attend his number retirement ceremony. Well, there is more to it. Toward the end of the season, it was becoming clear that an opening to manage our A team down in Ocala was going to happen. I had texted Semei to ask him who I thought would be a good teacher for our kids down there, but that was just a pretext. I remember how he used to mentor the younger players in Louisville, and I thought he would be the perfect manager for Ocala. So after he suggested someone I don't remember, I went for it and offered him the job. He initially demurred, but then I could hear him smile. Next thing I know, he is signing the papers and we are planning a number retirement ceremony to coincide with his return. All of this almost a year to the day of his retirement ceremony."

"I am ecstatic," said Kwakou. "I never told anyone this, but I always wanted to manage. And to get a chance in the Sluggers organization is icing on the cake. And, to be honest, the money is helpful. I made over 345M from my playing days, but you wouldn't believe the inflation these days."

Kwakou will report to Ocala early to meet with his staff. He is looking forward to meeting top prospects Jerry Woodall and Travis Turnbull. He is also looking forward to perhaps getting Jose Barrera on the team at some point next season. "I think I can really help out Woodall and Barrera. I can still hit better than them, so I am hoping to show them how to get to the next level without spending time at the Dev Lab."

Return to “Louisville Sluggers”