Slugger Shavings 2058.5 - Mal Fountain of Lamneth

GM: Brian Pinnell

Moderator: RT60

RT60
BBA GM

Slugger Shavings 2058.5 - Mal Fountain of Lamneth

Post by RT60 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:31 am

The Sluggers popped the champagne on a solid last-place finish in the Heartland. All the players and fans knew the rebuild was in full swing, so why not make the most of a bad situation? Despite the frivolity ensuing in the clubhouse, there was one player who showed no emotion. It was Mal Fountain.

Like Jeffrey Smith before him, Fountain has been a solid free agent pickup by GM BP. Like a fine wine, Fountain has taken to Louisville despite getting up there in years at 37. He has had a fantastic past few seasons, and most recently led the team with 5.2 WAR in 2058. He also has continued to adroitly lock down the hot corner. This league seems to be kind to old-timers, and Fountain is no exception.

While Fountain can look back with pride on his performance with the Sluggers, the fact that his contract has a team option for 2059 has started to weigh on him heavily. He knows the team had some financial mismanagement recently. Will GM BP really want to exercise his option raising his salary from 8.9M to 12.7M even though there is plenty of cap space? Wouldn't it be better to save the cash and call up a prospect for little money?

Fountain knows the fanbase loves him, and can count a number of season ticket holders quitting in disgust if the team fails to extend him. So he mostly seems comfortable with the likelihood of an extension on that basis. And he has even told his agent to tell GM BP that maybe a longer term extension with Louisville could be done. But he has told his family to be ready to move just in case.

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Slugger Shavings 2058.5 - Mal Fountain of Lamneth

Post by BaseClogger » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:50 am

I remember being bummed you beat me out on Fountain and then his struggles in his first season made me believe I dodged a bullet. Glad he regained form and gave up some excellent production.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

RT60
BBA GM

Re: Slugger Shavings 2058.5 - Mal Fountain of Lamneth

Post by RT60 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:59 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:50 am
I remember being bummed you beat me out on Fountain and then his struggles in his first season made me believe I dodged a bullet. Glad he regained form and gave up some excellent production.
Indeed, that first year was a little disappointing. But he has been great since.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Louisville Sluggers”