Slugger Shavings 2058.3 - Checking in with Gustavo Canales

GM: Brian Pinnell

Moderator: RT60

RT60
BBA GM

Slugger Shavings 2058.3 - Checking in with Gustavo Canales

Post by RT60 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:06 pm

Zip! "What was that?! Oh, there goes Gustavo again." This was a frequently heard exclamation by Louisville residents as young left-fielder Gustavo Canales used the downtown streets of Louisville as a personal running race-track. This is the same Gustavo Canales that stole 51 bases in AAA in the 2056 season and has been a force on BBA basepaths since being called up last season. Who is this guy and why do Louisville fans love him already?

Gustavo was a friendly kid growing up in Worthington, MN. He took to baseball early and his friends remember him constantly shouting "baseball is life!" (something that he still yells randomly today). He was a manager's dream at the top of the order. He could get on base, could keep the other team honest with a good amount of pop, and could run like the wind. He parlayed these skills into a college scholarship, and then a coveted first round selection in the 2055 draft (28th overall).

He rose quickly in the Slugger's farm system, spending a full season in AAA Missouri in 2056, where he was a monster. He stole 51 bases and also hit .305/23/82. Impressed by this, GM BP called him up to supplement the outfield. He ended up started 55 games with a decent 1.5 WAR. With Gustavo in the fold, GM BP had no desire to try to keep all-around great guy Jeffrey Smith. With Smith gone, Mu'ayyad bin Nu'man was moved from LF to DH, and Gustavo was given a full-time gig in LF. So far he hasn't disappointed, hitting .282/20/81 with 3.2 WAR so far. Manager Bernardo Herrera has kept Gustavo on a leash, limiting the speedster to just 19 stolen bases. It has not been unusual to see "Free Gustavo" signs at the park. GM BP has made it clear to Herrera that Louisville needs fans in the seats, and a free Gustavo is necessary to make that happen.

For Gustavo personally, he is enjoying life. "I can't believe I am here to be honest. I was a little bummed I fell to 28th overall in the draft, but I love Louisville. And Phibby is my boy. He is younger than me but he might as well be a graybeard showing me the ropes. I also love Lil Yyatty. We have a competition going to see who steals the most bases. He has 21 but I hear I might get more green lights soon. He better get his money ready. I hope he gets an extension."

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Slugger Shavings 2058.3 - Checking in with Gustavo Canales

Post by BaseClogger » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:52 pm

I love how much you revere Smith’s personality. On his player page it says he’s a “motor mouth” lol
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Slugger Shavings 2058.3 - Checking in with Gustavo Canales

Post by RonCo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

Some of the greatest personalities are motor mouths.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Louisville Sluggers”