Slugger Shavings 2056.1 - Baldez Rumors

GM: Brian Pinnell

Moderator: RT60

RT60
BBA GM

Slugger Shavings 2056.1 - Baldez Rumors

Post by RT60 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:25 pm

Several leaks to the press appear to solidly indicate that GM BP has been shopping Antonio Baldez around and had even worked out a trade deal in principle with another team. This despite just signing Baldez to a 5 year/32.8M extension. Several pundits and fans have taken to the internet to point out that the league does not allow a player to be traded so quickly after signing a contract.

When asked about the trade rumors, GM BP flatly denied them. "I don't know what you are talking about. Are you trying to imply that I don't know the league rules? I would never try to do a trade and then check the trade rules after coming to an agreement."

After today's practice, Baldez was asked to comment on the rumors. "I can pitch here. I can pitch somewhere else. I am very adaptable. At the end of the day, I got paid. Whatever happens now is cool with me."

Sluggers fan surely can understand if there is some truth to these rumors given Baldez's recent performance. Last year saw Baldez nosedive with his worst season, losing a league record 18 games when he was supposed to be the team's ace. This season started roughly as well, though he did win his last three games to bring his record to 5-5. Some speculate those three wins were spurred on by the trade rumors.

Time will tell how much of a leash Baldez is given. Louisville has a number of top pitching prospects that can't wait to make the jump from AAA.

Return to “Louisville Sluggers”