Slugger Shavings 2045.06 - Spring Training Decisions - 2B

GM: Brian Pinnell

Moderator: RT60

sjshaw
Ex-GM

Slugger Shavings 2045.06 - Spring Training Decisions - 2B

Post by sjshaw » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:22 pm

2B was projected to be one of our strongest positions in 2044, and getting sub-replacement-level play from it absolutely killed us. The pitching injuries hurt, but our offensive collapse was the primary culprit in our failure, and nowhere was it more pronounced than 2B.

2B/3B Luis Mendoza - We have to start with the Golden Child, even though he may (probably will?) end up at 3B, his stronger defensive position. Thanks to the MORAN injury and Gutierriez trade, we had to throw Luis into the fire sooner than desired. He... didn't do great, although he finished strong. We obviously are counting on him to play up to his lofty pedigree this season, whether it be at 2B, 3B, or (gasp) SS.

2B Jorge MORAN - Imagine you draft a player in 2039 in the freaking 19th round and three seasons later he puts up 4.2 WAR in his first full season with a wOBA of .375. You'd be stoked. As was I. I am less stoked now. I chalked his shit 2043 up to a bad BABIP dice roll, and I can talk myself into his half season last year being another aberration. He is an absolute masher with no split. He's likely got a below-average BABIP skill, so he's probably going to keep giving vastly disparate results season-over-season. We just have to hope that his massive POW converts those positive outcomes into HRs. If so, he's the clear starter at 2B (or 1B, where his glove plays incredibly well) with Mendoza playing up his defense at 3B. If not, he's a short-sider for us, but potentially a valuable starter for another team with a RHB-friendly park (HINT HINT).

2B Luca 'The Hammer' Colman - A true SHB with no splits, Colman would really only see big-league action in case of injuries or pure defensive need, if we have enough offense and shoring up the D at an important position brings us more benefit.

2B Reilly 'Copper' Eddy - We paid $8,100,000 to claim Eddy off the mLFA scrap heap after he was released by NO. Was it an overpay? Yeah, it was, but we had no other use for the money and needed to build some INF spec depth. He could use another bump to guarantee eventually playing 2B in LOU, but despite the bad EYE, he already looks like a quality short-side option. It won't be this year, unless things go spectacularly cock-eyed, but he's good to have around as a target for the dev fairy.
GM, Louisville Sluggers, end of 2038 - current

Return to “Louisville Sluggers”