Two new managers (2038-3)

GM: Brian Pinnell

Moderator: RT60

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Two new managers (2038-3)

Post by Fat Nige » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 am

Following the appointment of Brian Clough as the Hitting Coach at Triple-A Missouri, we still had a couple of personnel vacancies to be filled. I was busy trying to sort out some interviews for the vacant posts of Manager at Double-A Louisville and at Rookie ball Bowling green when Clough and his former team-mate Yann Manfredi, now Pitching Coach at Missouri turned up. They had a proposal for me.
“Hey Boss, we’ve just had a weekend away with the Alumni Association and we all agree that it’s a good idea to get former Sluggers in to teach the new boys all about what it means to be a Slugger. We know you just got rid of some former Sluggers in the management ranks, but they had lost sight of all. We know what they asked you to extend their contracts and some of us were horrified. We all really felt that it should be a labour of love, we all want to see Louisville rise again. So we had a good discussion about it all, and a few beers and ‘Bun Bun’ and Jorgie boy have stepped up to the plate. They’re more than prepared to come out of retirement and give the youngsters the benefit of what it was like to be a Slugger back in the days. Here’s their cell numbers, give them a call, they’ll not be asking for half a million that’s for sure.”

After they left, I pulled the player records of Jorge Diaz and Jason Brooks, both had had a long BBA career sure enough and were in their fifties. Jorge was a catcher that had started nearly 1,000 games for us in the nine years between 2008 and 2016. He had had over 1,100 hits and 500 runs scored in Louisville colours during that time. Jason ‘Bun Bun’ Brooks was a pitcher that had only played in 64 games for us, half of them as a starter, between 2019 & 2024 but he had had a long BBA career that took in Chicago, Baltimore and briefly Birmingham & Madison. 178 games in total and he collected a Steve Nebraska Golden Arm award in 2011, two All-Star appearances and a Landis Ring in 2023 when he was in Madison (even though he only got two outings). Everyone started out somewhere I thought, so . . . .

It was all sorted just like that, Jorge had readily agreed a two-year deal at $84,000 a year to manage the Louisville Fire while Bun Bun sorted himself a two-year deal at $50,000 a year to manage the Bowling Green Corvettes. We now had all our personnel roles filled, our total wage bill for the organisation came to $3,891,000. Nearly $3 million of that was for the Sluggers staff and we had some pretty inexperienced and unproven staff around the minors but everyone started somewhere.
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Return to “Louisville Sluggers”