Blowing in the Wind 2058.15: Si-Dao Yong Pitcher, Rookie of the Month; Aragon Loses Out to Felix Roman

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2058.15: Si-Dao Yong Pitcher, Rookie of the Month; Aragon Loses Out to Felix Roman

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 pm

Si-dao Yong had to wait until Hayden Bennion was injured to get his spot in the rotation. He has done more with it than anyone could have imagined. The 24-year old rookie righty hurler won his first Pitcher of the Month Award in August, posting stellar numbers in what the team hopes is the beginning of great things to come.

"This is a great honor and I am so happy to receive this award," said Yong. "I credit my teammates for catching my flyballs and my pitching coach and catchers for guiding me well."

Yong posted a 5-1 record and a 2.59 ERA in August, throwing 41.2 innings in six starts. The righty has been a revelation for the team this year: while steadily improving all year, Yong has a 10-3 record and a 3.58 ERA.

Pepe Aragon has also been improving this year and might be considered the team's most effective starter this season, but did not win Player of the Month despite an outstanding August, losing out to Felix Roman. Aragon's August was outstanding: he had a .386 batting average and a 1.102 OPS, both high marks on the Hurricanes. However, it was a little too much to overcome superstar Roman, who had 16 homers and 39 RBI in August.

"Yeah, I'm never going to hit 16 homers in a month," said Aragon, laughing. "But I know that what I did do in August helped the team out a lot, and I hope to be that kind of player for a long time going forward."

Both players are cornerstones of the team's restructuring, as Yong has certainly earned his spot in the rotation for a while to come, and Aragon in the lineup.

"We're just doing our jobs as best we can," said Yong. "But the nice trophy will look good in my living room."

Return to “Jacksonville Zombies”