Blowing in the Wind 2058.10: Aragon Having Insane August

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2058.10: Aragon Having Insane August

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:32 pm

Sometimes it's important to take a picture, because it lasts longer. Jacksonville third baseman Pepe Aragon, just 20 years old, is no doubt snapping dozens of pictures of his start to August and framing them somewhere in his place, because if they gave awards for Player of the Half-Month, he'd be a runaway. Aragon is currently hitting an absurd .482 in August with 6 home runs and a 1.383 OPS, Ruthian numbers.

"Well, of course I'm hitting .500 in August," said Aragon. "It's all about the constant effort and, of course, the completely impossible good luck."

Aragon's numbers are basically out of a (much easier) video game: 27 hits in 56 at bats, 10 extra base hits, and just five strikeouts this month. It goes without saying that he has put his hat in the ring for the Joe Gillstrom Award, though he is probably still a long-shot to win that honor.

"Pepe's going to be a big part of this team for a long time," said manager Farri Agymah. "He's a rising young star."

Aragon's numbers have sparked a memory for one runner up winner of the Joe Gillstrom Award as well. Daniel Pepper famously lost the Joe Gillstrom Award to Montreal's Lineu Aldo in 2041 while hitting .418 for 75 major league games with an OPS of 1.202. Both players may make the Hall of Fame, though Pepper is the more likely candidate; Aldo never again approached the sorts of incredible numbers he posted that year.

"You should see his eyes open wide when I tell him about my rookie year," said Pepper. "Hopefully he has the sort of career I've enjoyed for 18 major league seasons."

No doubt Jacksonville is hoping that, too. Behind Aragon's efforts and the efforts of several young players, Jacksonville has crawled and scraped their way back above .500 at a 64-63 record.

"I'm excited to still be in this thing," said Aragon. "Maybe if I keep hitting .500 we'll win the pennant."

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2058.10: Aragon Having Insane August

Post by BaseClogger » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:24 pm

Gosh darnit Aldo better be a HoFer.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2058.10: Aragon Having Insane August

Post by aaronweiner » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:35 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:24 pm
Gosh darnit Aldo better be a HoFer.
Got my vote, but a lot of people won't vote for him. Whereas there is absolutely no chance Pepper doesn't make it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”