Blowing in the Wind 2058.8: Bob Anderson Signs Extension

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2058.8: Bob Anderson Signs Extension

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:55 am

The Jacksonville Hurricanes today announced that they have re-signed staff ace Bob Anderson to a six year extension with no opt outs, options, or chicanery that will carry him through the 2064 season. Rated by independent analysts as the #2 pitcher in the BBA, Anderson has placed in the top three in Steve Nebraska voting in three of his four full major league seasons, winning the award in 2054, and is likely to do so again this season.

"I am thrilled to say that I have signed an extension with the only professional franchise I have ever played for," said Anderson. "I hope to retire in Jacksonville, where I have experienced constant success."

There were some questions about whether Anderson would be with the franchise when he was reportedly put on the trade block this offseason, but the team quickly dispersed those doubts by pulling him off the block after realizing that Anderson was not a replaceable player.

"Management and I have been in constant discussion about my future since the beginning of the year, and they have helped me to understand the direction of the franchise," said Anderson. "I am actually quite pleased with the way things have gone this year, and the fact that the franchise continues to call up young talent and we are still in the middle of the wild card hunt despite everything shows that they have the team's best interests at heart."

Despite Anderson's sunny optimism, the contract perhaps tells another story. Anderson's contract has an average of $18 million per season, but is heavily frontloaded, usually the mark of a rebuilding team who is lowering their cap. However, Jacksonville GM Aaron Weiner suggests that there is another explanation.

"Yes, we are probably lowering our cap next year, but despite our current offensive problems, we think a lot of them are going to be solved next year with low-cost prospects from the minor leagues," Weiner said. "And a lot of those guys are going to need arbitration when Bob's contract starts to descend."

Several of those players are currently in the majors, including Hamdan Nuh, Don Colbert, Roy O'Donnell, Bae Pae, and Pepe Aragon, and all of these players have been productive in some way or another. More are expected in September, including first baseman Alfonso Martinez and Shu-yaan Zheng. And, it won't be long until 2057 first rounder Steve Holcombe is in the majors, though the team is not looking to rush him despite his obvious minor league success this year; he is expected to arrive sometime in 2059.

"We've done a good job of compiling young talent, especially considering we've been making the playoffs and winning games," Weiner said. "It's going to allow us to move seamlessly into Stage 2 here."

Stage 2? It's observable: Jacksonville has a full, projectible major league lineup next year with most of the aforementioned players being a big part of that. Daniel Pepper and Pablo Lara would round out the lineup next year, and Jacksonville would have to replace Pepper after 2059. That doesn't sound like a last place lineup to us, and if the pitching staff basically holds in place, there's no reason the Hurricanes couldn't make the playoffs as early as next year.

"Hey, we're not out of it this year yet," said Anderson, smiling widely for the cameras. "We're going to keep fighting the good fight here for as long as we can."

https://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... eam_3.html

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2058.8: Bob Anderson Signs Extension

Post by trmmilwwi » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:05 am

Glad to see this happen!
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2058.8: Bob Anderson Signs Extension

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:56 pm

trmmilwwi wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:05 am
Glad to see this happen!
Same. I wasn't gonna let him wiggle out of the $33/3 at the end of this one. For all I know he won't be worth it, but I'll take my chances on a guy this good.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”