Blowing in the Wind 2058.1: Jacksonville Goes Upper Klaas, Signs International Free Agent Renders

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2058.1: Jacksonville Goes Upper Klaas, Signs International Free Agent Renders

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:47 am

When Aaron Weiner took over the GM role on the Jacksonville Hurricanes before the 2054 season, the team had been in a three-year playoff drought, had a whole team full of free agent contracts, and no farm. Four years later, Jacksonville has made the playoffs three times, drafted a top-60 prospect in Steve Holcombe and a whole farm full of potentially playable young men, and now, after breaking the bank in international free agency, they have a player who might be the top pitching prospect in the BBA, Klaas Renders.

"What does a #1 overall pick cost? Well, for us, that was $45 million," said Jacksonville GM Aaron Weiner. "Klaas has a long way to go to the major leagues, but I suspect there aren't too many people who wouldn't have taken this guy #1 overall in most drafts."

Dutchman Renders really checks just about every box you'd want: his talent seems virtually limitless, he is already a great interview, sharp and hard-working, forces huge numbers of groundballs and he's still young enough to projectible and gain some velocity at just 16 years old.

"I know that all eyes will be on me," said Renders. "I know that there's a huge amount of pressure on me. But I love pressure, and I love everyone watching when I perform under pressure. I have dreams of being the #1 starter for a BBA team, and Jacksonville would be a great team to work for."

Renders received around $23 million of the $45 million that the Hurricanes were charged for the privilege of signing him, but his makeup suggests that this shouldn't cause him to get soft. Renders laughs at such suggestions.

"This is my first contract, not my last contract," said Renders. "I'm going to do everything it takes to make the big climb to the big leagues. I want to be at the top of the mountain."

Renders becomes the shining jewel in the Hurricanes' farm, but he might not be the only one for long. In response to the move, the Hurricanes dealt #1 starter Bernie Stuart to Twin Cities, and more trades may be on the way. However, the Hurricanes have a lot to look forward to at this point.

"We're excited about our future," said Weiner. "We've also still got a lot of talent in the present."

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2058.1: Jacksonville Goes Upper Klaas, Signs International Free Agent Renders

Post by Lane » Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:21 am

And he's a lefty!i suppose you might want better stamina but he'll be worth every penny if he reaches his potential.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2058.1: Jacksonville Goes Upper Klaas, Signs International Free Agent Renders

Post by ae37jr » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:55 pm

If he has 10 control, that 5 stamina should play up to a 6 or 7. A lot of one pitch outs and double plays. The $45 million question is.. will that changeup develop?

I hope so. He has a chance to be a generational pitcher. And since he plays in the Johnson, I'm ok with that.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:53 am

It'll be fun to watch him develop.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:21 am

Glad he's in the JL if he isn't in Nashville. Looks like a generational player.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”