Blowing in the Wind 2056.4: Pepper, Lara Bring Back Memories for Jacksonville GM

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2056.4: Pepper, Lara Bring Back Memories for Jacksonville GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:27 pm

Before Jacksonville GM Aaron Weiner was the runner-up in the 2055 GM of the Year race, he ran the Rockville Pikemen, winning two championships and breaking long-standing records for consecutive playoff appearances and consecutive pennants that still stand today, twenty seasons later. Along the way, he received some renown for his drafting strategy. But who were his favorite draft picks ever as GM of Rockville?

"Daniel Pepper and Pablo Lara," said Weiner. "Definitely Pepper and Lara. Welcome home, guys."

As far as return on investment goes, one can understand Weiner's point of view. By Wins Above Replacement, Pepper is the top player from the 2039 draft (though that was also the Ernest McBride draft), and he was picked at #40 and converted to the infield; Lara has been the fifth best player picked in the first round in 2047 despite being picked #31.

(Some fun trivia: Pepper has more WAR than the top three picks combined in the 2039 draft, while Lara has about as many career WAR as the top four picks combined in the 2047 draft.)

Jacksonville also hopes for a big ROI on signing them, since the Hurricanes both Pepper and Lara this offseason to long-term deals. Early results are good: they combined to go 19-54 (.354) in their first sim together.

"We're former teammates and friends," said Pepper. "I remember helping him into the league when he was a rookie, and we stayed in touch after I went to Vancouver. I know we're Hurricanes now, but we still think (Hurricane) Stephen Best robbed Pablo for the Joe Gillstrom, just like I was in 2041 - you know I hit .418 that year? Robbed."

The two aren't equal signings; Lara has been a rock-solid professional while Pepper has been a legitimate superstar for much of his career. But they'll probably hit back to back in the order, second and third, all year long.

"We're thrilled to have them join the offense," said new Jacksonville manager Farri Agymah. "They're real professionals and know what they're doing."

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2056.4: Pepper, Lara Bring Back Memories for Jacksonville GM

Post by BaseClogger » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:52 pm

Pepper had to be converted to the infield!? He has 2 outfield range.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2056.4: Pepper, Lara Bring Back Memories for Jacksonville GM

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:28 am

BaseClogger wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:52 pm
Pepper had to be converted to the infield!? He has 2 outfield range.
Yeah, he was a CF when he was drafted.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”