Blowing in the Wind 2055.9: Charmed, I'm Sure.

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2055.9: Charmed, I'm Sure.

Post by aaronweiner » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:03 pm

https://statspl.us/brewster/reports/new ... eam_3.html

The Jacksonville Hurricanes sent the Doubleday Series with the Charm City Jimmies to seven games, further than most prognosticators had expected, before falling to the record-setting 120-win juggernaut 4-1 in the deciding seventh game. While the team's bats fell quiet in the sixth game and never woke up, the Hurricanes had a real chance to win the series, using their early home field advantage to go up 3-2 on the Jimmies.

"The sad part is that we were doing fine at the plate before going back to Baltimore," said Pedro Guzman, whose home run in Game 7 was Jacksonville's only dent in the scoreboard in the deciding game. "It's hard having to go home after having had a such a good chance to make the Cartwright Cup."

Jacksonville got their primary offensive performances from some unusual players, which isn't as unusual as one would imagine since most of Charm City's rotation is left-handed, a rarity in today's BBA. For example, Ka'im Muntasir had a really big series, which makes sense as he is the righty platoon second baseman; the backup to Mike England went 8-17 in the series.

"That's one of the things that gives Charm City its secret sauce," said Jacksonville hitting coach Chuck Beauregard, who guided the team to a second-place finish in walks this season. "A lot of teams have to rest their guys against lefties. We could barely use (.305 hitting leadoff man) Manoell Whanon, for example, and that didn't help us at all."

Most Jacksonville fans interviewed had a positive feeling after this series, and the sentiment was very high amongst the attendees of all three Jacksonville home games. The general opinion of the public was that the Hurricanes had a worthy season despite the playoff loss.

"That Charm City team is just scary good," said long-time Jacksonville season ticket holder Walter A. Idae. "They were able to push that team to seven games, and it looks like they'll all be back next year. Winning a playoff series and almost taking out the Jimmies is very exciting for a guy like me who's been watching this team fail for what seems like millions of years."

Idae is absolutely right: assuming that Pedro Guzman doesn't opt out of his contract or is willing to re-sign with the team, the Hurricanes are going to be back in their current form in 2056. The team has basically no other contract issues other than Guzman and starting second baseman Mike England and will have a projected $12 million in cap space to fill holes in the team.

"We're excited to see what we can do next year with a little cap space and a wild card winning team and a top rotation," said Jacksonville GM Aaron Weiner, who recently denied allegations of flashing the team in red women's underwear. "We may have to get creative, but if we get a bounce back season from Bob Anderson, the sky might be the limit for us next year. It's sort of too bad that Charm City appears to be living above the clouds, though."

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2055.9: Charmed, I'm Sure.

Post by trmmilwwi » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:40 am

The clubhouse hijinks almost beat the Jimmies. Idae wanted to see more, he may get his chance.

Awesome series to take a look at for sure. I didn't even realize that the BBA had a team in Baltimore. ;)
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:54 am

trmmilwwi wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:40 am
The clubhouse hijinks almost beat the Jimmies. Idae wanted to see more, he may get his chance.

Awesome series to take a look at for sure. I didn't even realize that the BBA had a team in Baltimore. ;)
Charm City is Baltimore’s nickname. Note that their park is located at Camden Yards. Lifelong Marylander here.

pandan
Ex-GM

Post by pandan » Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:11 am

Congrats on the strong season. Glad to see Muntasir have a good series!

mragland
Ex-GM

Post by mragland » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:32 am

That rotation is a solid foundation to build on.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/2047 - 11/06/2058)
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:29 pm

mragland wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:32 am
That rotation is a solid foundation to build on.
When you have a Bob Anderson type on a rookie type deal, you push your chips into the middle and hope the other guy folds.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”