Blowing in the Wind 2054.8: With Licht Licked, It's Miller Time

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2054.8: With Licht Licked, It's Miller Time

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:45 am

Dane Licht was all set to be a key part of the Jacksonville Hurricanes resurgence next season, but, sadly, it is not to be. The Hurricanes are expected in coming days to release Licht after the veteran outfielder tore his posterior cruciate ligament down the stretch this season, an injury that will require months of rehab and will keep him out until at least August, if his recovery goes well. However, the Hurricanes also signed a veteran outfielder this week, Donald Miller, to a frontloaded deal that will keep him in a Jacksonville uniform until 2058.

"You'd think that by the year 2054 we'd have better medicine for knees, but nope," said Licht. "The front office has already talked to me, and I completely understand why the Hurricanes are going this route, and I have no ill feelings towards them - they're intending to contend next year and my salary slot is the second highest on the team."

The worst part of the injury is that Licht, who had struggled early on this season, had posted his best two months of the year in August and September. The team was considering multiple positions for him next season and reportedly was even considering picking up his team options, but it doesn't look like this will be the case.

"We're saddened by this loss, but we'll move on as we must," said Jacksonville GM Aaron Weiner. "We wish Dane the best and hope he has a full recovery, and he's always welcome back in Jacksonville."

As for moving on, one could do worse than Donald Miller. Miller was acquired from the Valencia Stars in a deadline deal and was not expected to be re-signed, but surprisingly expressed interest in staying in Jacksonville. The veteran lefty bat fits in perfectly in Jacksonville's home run launching pad with his Moneyball walks/power scheme, and until the last week of the year was posting very strong numbers for the Hurricanes.

"I'm pleased to be a long-term part of the Jacksonville retool," said Miller. "I could think of a lot worse places to end my career than sunny Florida."

Miller posted a .244 average for the Hurricanes, with a .363 OBP, his trademark. He also had three home runs in 86 at bats, a number that Jacksonville expects to increase as he gets more comfortable hitting in their park.

"We're pleased that Donald is going to be working for us for a while," said Weiner. "He's a veteran example in the clubhouse and can hopefully help some of our younger hitters."

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”