Blowing in the Wind 2054.4: Marzuq, MacHardy Big IFA Gets for the Hurricanes

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2054.4: Marzuq, MacHardy Big IFA Gets for the Hurricanes

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:42 pm

The Jacksonville Hurricanes signed two IFAs this offseason that immediately jumped into their top ten prospects, including opening their wallets and buying top IFA prospect outfielder Jedidiah Marzuq, a Kuwait native, for $13,000,000, then discovering starting pitcher Steven MacHardy in Israel two weeks later. The additions are a big shot in the arm to an organization that currently has zero top 100 prospects in the minor leagues.

"We really needed these types of guys," said Weiner. "We were willing to pay top dollar for Jedidiah, who's really a fine young man and a very exciting young ballplayer, but it was a really exciting moment when one of our scouts came in and told us he's signed MacHardy, too. It was a big January for our farm system."

Marzuq was considered one of the top two prospects in the IFA pool this offseason. A multifaceted two-way outfielder who should be good defensively and may also be a superior defensive first baseman, Marzuq projects to be an above-average outfielder in the major leagues.

"I am very pleased to have done business with the Jacksonville franchise," said Marzuq. "I like that their weather is warm because I come from the desert in Kuwait."

MacHardy was a surprise signing, but the 17 year old righty from Israel has a chance to become a good one. Right now he's not a hard thrower, but he's 6'5" and projectible, and if he manages to gain some velocity and some command on his pitches he could be the sort of player who becomes a rotation stalwart.

"Steven's not the sort of player we usually pursue, but he has the chance to be a really good pitcher," Weiner said. "We're very happy he's chosen to join our franchise. Maybe it is the weather."

The Marzuq signing takes the Hurricanes out of the IFA market next year, but that's fine with them - with $80 million in cap space they'll probably concentrate on the major league squad. It would be unsurprising, however, to see Jacksonville back in the market in two years, as their farm system has stalled out severely.

"We're going to have to do some unorthodox things to get back to a normal pipeline," Weiner said. "The farm's got a long way to go before it's whole again."

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2054.4: Marzuq, MacHardy Big IFA Gets for the Hurricanes

Post by Dington » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:36 pm

Suds looks nice!
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2054.4: Marzuq, MacHardy Big IFA Gets for the Hurricanes

Post by ae37jr » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:54 pm

I think with the weaker drafts and what-not, talent from both avenues of IFA will be better. Or at least more important.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:14 pm

Why would Jedidiah play 1B instead of 3B if he moves to the infield?
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

neugey
Ex-GM

Post by neugey » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:54 pm

$13 million?! He does look good though. I just think my thrifty ways and IFA don't mix well.

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Trebro
BBA GM

Post by Trebro » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:09 am

neugey wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:54 pm
$13 million?! He does look good though. I just think my thrifty ways and IFA don't mix well.
Agreed. I just can't bring myself to spend that high, even though the Nine are fortunate and could do so, because I just can't get past the fact that I have to rely on potential rating and no stats. Just kills me.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:43 pm

Well, at this point I think I paid a ton of money for what amounts to a top ten draft pick.

I'd do that again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”