Blowing in the Wind 2054.3: Jacksonville Signs Two Veterans

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2054.3: Jacksonville Signs Two Veterans

Post by aaronweiner » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:08 pm

The Jacksonville Hurricanes ended their offseason stasis by signing two veterans, starting pitcher Mike MacRobb and shortstop Orlando Lopez. Both players were signed to one-year deals, and team officials expect that more short-term veteran deals may be signed in future days.

"We think that Mike and Orlando both close serious holes that we had on the team," said Jacksonville GM Aaron Weiner. "We needed a rotation starter and a middle infielder badly, and those two guys are good players who can help us."

MacRobb is the more notable of the two signings, if only because the last time he played for a team run by Aaron Weiner, he had his best season as a professional, throwing 180 innings of 3.20 baseball and winning a career-high 13 games. Weiner moved on to Des Moines the next season, and MacRobb moved on from Rockville via trade in that same season. He has since posted several productive years, including a 12-7, 3.38 mark last year.

"I'm happy to be back in the JL Atlantic," said MacRobb. "I've spent a lot of my career here and I'm looking forward to doing work for the Hurricanes."

Lopez had a rebound season in 2053 after a very tough 2052 season, when he struggled, then broke his kneecap. The veteran middle infielder has had productive years for Montreal, Boise, and Seattle, and he is likely to help stabilize the defense somewhat, which is one of the worst in the BBA.

"I'm hoping I can help," said Lopez. "I know there are some serious issues on this team defensively and I hope to help stop up some of those gaps."

There may be more additions to come, as the Hurricanes still have $28 million in cap space. Jacksonville does not appear to intend to sign long-term deals this season, as their team is aging and they will have nearly $80 million in cap space next year in order to restructure the franchise, but it would be unsurprising to see more veterans signed by the team.

"Maybe people didn't notice last year, but we had a winning record and didn't really lose anyone huge," said Weiner. "We have a winning tradition in Jacksonville and while we weren't willing to break the bank with such a huge windfall coming next year, we think we have a very reasonable shot at a winning record again, especially if we plug some holes."

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”