Tropical Tidbits 32.11 - Decisions, Decisions

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

udlb58
Ex-GM

Tropical Tidbits 32.11 - Decisions, Decisions

Post by udlb58 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:05 pm

With the Canes eliminated from the playoffs, it is time to start thinking about the future and as the players head off for their winter break, there are a number of questions still up in the air regarding pending free agents, player/team options, and arbitration. Here's a look at some of the players in question and my opinion on what the team should do.

C Dave Robertson - Expiring Contract
The former top 50 prospect has taken the majority of the starts for the Hurricanes over the past 6 years, with mixed results. He does have a power bat and limits the run game, but his contact is so inconsistent that he can be completely ineffective for long stretches. At $2-4 million, he is a solid player to have; at $6 million+ for multiple years he is a drain on the cap. Hopefully he can be brought back on a decent contract, but this is probably his only chance at a solid, long-term contract so he probably won't budge on asking price until he tests the market.

3B Owen Stark - Expiring Contract
This former 1st round pick and trade deadline acquisition was a solid contributor in limited work. He can play both corners competently and could even get you out of a game at 2nd. He won't set the world on fire, but is a very nice utility player. Stark and the team had been talking about potential extensions once the cap space opened up, but now sources say he is looking to test the market for a starting job.

LF Benjamin Franklin Pierce - Expiring Contract
"Hawkeye" failed to reach his vesting option for 2033 and will be facing free agency. What a difference 2 years makes. In 2030, he was an over-priced, under-achieving player that was hugely unpopular in Jacksonville. Now, the 39 year old is a fold hero who's 2031 playoff performance won't soon be forgotten. He isn't the smooth center fielder that came to town in 2029 but the old guy can still hit. If he isn't signed as a PH/weak-half LF split player in J'ville, he'll be signed to do the same somewhere.

P Ron Wilson - Expiring Contract
The crafty lefty veteran was a surprise as arguably the top reliever in Jacksonville in 2031, but he came out of the gate ice cold this year and was, frankly, bad in April and May (ERA over 6.50). But, he was quietly one of the better bullpen arms for the Canes the rest of the way, only once posting an ERA over 3.00 the rest of the way. He's limited to a LOOGY role (1.000 OPS vRHB) but the crafty vet still has some bite left on his famous slider. He'll probably be too expensive, but he wouldn't be a bad option to bring back.

SS Carlos Salazar - Expiring Contract
The former Rule 5 pick finally got his first actual shot in a utility role and though he was very good in the field, he struggled mightily at the plate (resulting in the trade for Stark). The 27 year old cleared waivers and is set to be a minor league free agent if the Canes don't put him back on the 40-man. Despite the offensvie struggles, look for him to be back on a league minimum deal.

DH Josey Wales - Expiring Contract
Like Salazar, Wales failed to impress when his number was called and he eventually cleared waivers and needs to be added to the 40-man to be retained. Look for that to happen though, as he does possess 20 HR power if he ever was given a full season of at bats.

P Jesus Paez - Expiring Contract
Signed to a minor league contract during the summer, the 33 year old toiled away in Gotham all season and was shut out of a September call-up thanks to the trade acquisitions. The veteran is a good clubhouse presence and has a history of eating innings. With the struggles Jacksonville had in the #5 spot, he may get a small extension to see if he can lock down a spot in the rotation.

RF Sergio Ramos - $12.5m Player Option

Rat Race Ramos has been a key contributor for the Hurricanes since coming over in the trade with Indy at the 2029 deadline and he has developed a strong fan following as well. He has always been limited in the field, but this past season he looked out of place at times and he now needs to produce at a higher level than a 111 OPS+ to justify the drag he is on defense. Some fans are hoping he declines his option, but they aren't thinking of the gaping hole in the clubhouse that creates. Best case scenario is that he declines his option and resigns at a more team-friendly deal, like BFP in 2030.

P Miguel Lara - $1.7m Player Option
The deadline acquisition has a player option for 2033. He is still a solid reliever, with a middling value option, and he was awful in his time in Jacksonville. There's a good chance he'll be testing the free agent market this November.

P Juan Urdiano - $1.2m Player Option
The veteran lefty has been a solid contributor since he was picked up on a minor league deal back in 2029. He has a player option for 2033 and with a 4.44 ERA this year, you would expect him to exercise it.

P Mario Mendez - $8.0m Team Option
Last year's big free agent signing was up and down in 2032, finishing on a down note in the series with Charm City. The option is probably higher than you'd like for his results, but he is just a year removed from a no-hitter and it isn't like the Hurricanes are flush with pitching talent. He'll probably be back.

P Mark Totten - $3.5m Team Option
He struggled in his 8 starts in Jacksonville, and gave up 2 HR to 2 batters during that disastrous 9th inning collapse. Still, at just $3m, he is a solid pitcher who's stuff also plays up in the bullpen.

LF James Braddock - Arbitration
Brought in last year to replace the departing Emilio Rodriguez, Braddock failed to live up to expectations. He still hit .279/.313/.426 with 12 HR, is a solid fielder, and has an estimated arbitration amount under $1m. Look for him to receive an extension just before the arbitration hearings.

P Billy Chapel, Jr. - Big Freaking Salary
The biggest decision managment has to make doesn't regard a player with an option, expiring contract, or looming arbitration. The biggest decision is with future Hall of Fame pitcher Chip Chapel. Chip is now past his prime and serves as an embassador more than an effective starting pitcher. The team has to figure out if they have the balls (and cash) to release a future Hall of Famer, or if they are going to attempt to drag around this $19,000,000 anchor.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Tropical Tidbits 32.11 - Decisions, Decisions

Post by ae37jr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Call me crazy, and this is still a huge waste of money. But if you RP convert Chapel you might be able to get one more productive season out of him. I don't condone paying a RP $19 mil. It would just be making the best out of a bad situation.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 pm

I will give you $20 million cash for middling prospect Arbizo...giving you the cash to release Chappel

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:19 pm

ae37jr wrote:Call me crazy, and this is still a huge waste of money. But if you RP convert Chapel you might be able to get one more productive season out of him. I don't condone paying a RP $19 mil. It would just be making the best out of a bad situation.
I thought about it when we picked up Totten. But that is when he got hot and had a solid finish to the season. Gave him the Game 4 start instead of Totten because of it (and Totten looking like the better reliever). Chapel sucked and Totten gave up a HR to each of the batters he faced.

If I had a little more cap flexibility, I wouldn't hesitate to use him as a swing-man next year. If Ramos executes his option, I may have to cut ties with Chapel; if Ramos walks though...

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:20 pm

felipe wrote:I will give you $20 million cash for middling prospect Arbizo...giving you the cash to release Chappel
I've thought of giving a team $20 million to take Chapel for nothing. They get a free $1 million and can either take the boost to ticket sales, or cut him and walk away with the free money.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”