Tropical Tidbits 32.10 - Hurricanes Blown Away

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

udlb58
Ex-GM

Tropical Tidbits 32.10 - Hurricanes Blown Away

Post by udlb58 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 pm

The mood was understandably muted during the post-season media scrum the day after the Hurricanes threw away a 3-1 series lead and 9-3 game 7 lead to watch their hopes of being the first back-to-back Landis winners since Las Vegas in 2005-06.

It is easy to lay the blame at the feet of 20 year old closer Netuno Markert (and many have been), but manager Lothar Platzdasch tried to put everything in perspective, and deflect the criticism from his young reliever. "Listen. It's ridiculous to blame Netu. We were up 3 games to 1, we all had our own chances to make an impact and end the series and we all came up short, and that includes myself. I'm the one that left him out there to allow 7 runs to cross the plate, but I just felt that he had settled down when he struck out Salazar," said Platzdasch. But three pitches and five runs later, the Hurricanes were eliminated. "I stand behind Netuno, he had allowed just one run the entire playoff run and had gotten our asses out of the sling many times this year and in the playoffs. The things I've heard people are saying on social media is uncalled for. He's going to be a key member of the success or failure of this team in the upcoming years, and there isn't anyone I trust more with the game on the line. He just had an off day and I didn't see it soon enough," added the Hurricanes manager.

GM Tyler Simmons took the stand after Platzdasch and had this to say, "This one really stings. We were playing well at the right time and it just felt like everything was coming together again. I'm proud of this team. This may not be how we wanted the season to end, but we did make our fourth consecutive post-season appearance and I look forward to making a run at five." When pressed about some of the team options and bloated contracts on the roster, Simmons remained coy, "There are certainly some difficult decisions to be made in the coming days. I had just been hoping to be making them a few weeks from now."

The player who drew the biggest crowd in the locker room was team captain Sergio Ramos. "Give credit to Charm City, they came through with the key at bats and key pitches when they needed them.....we didn't," said Ramos. When asked about his player option for 2033, Ramos said, "I don't want to talk about next year right now. I'll talk with the family and my agent, and we'll make the decision in a few weeks. I'm just trying to get over the fact that we don't have a game to prepare for right now."

Despite the disappointing loss, this club has to be commended for their resiliency during the regular season, overcoming another slow start and earning a club record fourth playoff appearance in a row. There are some serious questions in the pitching staff and outfield, but this is one of the best infields in the BBA with a few interesting prospects looking to make an impact in 2033. It will certainly be an interesting offseason.
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Tropical Tidbits 32.10 - Hurricanes Blown Away

Post by RonCo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:30 am

Tough to lose that way.

In a normal situation, you would think Ramos would return. But OOTP is not normal.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:43 am

Good season man. Real tough luck. I would of liked to have been in that stadium when the comeback was complete though.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Nothing to be ashamed of. Jacksonville made a great run after struggling out of the gate for the second straight season. With a young core, you'll be a threat for several more years.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:16 pm

ae37jr wrote:Nothing to be ashamed of. Jacksonville made a great run after struggling out of the gate for the second straight season. With a young core, you'll be a threat for several more years.
Possibly. We're either going to have to crank up the offense or figure out the pitching though. Just not quite enough (though I suppose I shouldn't overreact to one bad game, Game 5, and one bad inning, Game 7)
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jacksonville Hurricanes”