Blowing in the Wind 2055.16: So Why Not Steve Holcombe?

GM: Aaron Weiner

Moderator: aaronweiner

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Blowing in the Wind 2055.16: So Why Not Steve Holcombe?

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 pm

Jacksonville called up a number of players expected to contribute next year this week, but one of them was not Steve Holcombe, unquestionably the team's top prospect and one of the top 50 overall prospects in the minor leagues. It can't be his production in AAA, since Holcombe posted absolutely incredible numbers in AAA and actually led the Granville League in home runs despite playing a third of the season in AA. Or can it?

"We think the world of Steve, and we're excited to get him to the majors, but that day isn't going to be today," said Jacksonville GM Aaron Weiner. "We want Steve to be comfortable on Day 1, and we think there are a few things that he could work on that he probably hasn't even thought of yet."

Among the issues that Jacksonville mentions is Holcombe's strikeout to walk ratio. Holcombe's walk rate was fine in AA, but when he got to AAA he drew just 18 walks in 340 plate appearances (with one intentional walk), with 104 strikeouts in 324 at bats.

"He may be hitting the ball around AAA like it's a beach ball, and putting up those insane numbers, but he's not a finished product yet," said a JL scout who covers AAA. "He's not going to need more than one more year in the minors, tops, but if you asked me rushing him to the major leagues before he's really figured out his batting eye isn't going to do him, or the franchise, any favors."

There are arguments in the other direction, too.

"Why does he need to draw a walk in AAA when he's hitting .330 and slugging .657?" said another scout, answering our question with a question. "I mean, if you had a guy who was doing that in the major leagues and not drawing walks, you would say something like 'this guy is the best hitter in baseball.' I'd say call him up and see what he can do."

That said, there's a world of difference between AAA and the major leagues, proven time and time again over the annals. And when you have a superstar-quality prospect as blue chip as a Steve Holcombe, you want to get that right, the first time.

"I'm not complaining about not being called up right now," said Holcombe. "I know that the team thinks the world of me and has my best interests and that of the team at heart. When the day comes that I am finally a major league baseball player, I will be there knowing that both I and the team felt I was 100% ready, and that will give me the confidence to succeed."

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: Blowing in the Wind 2055.16: So Why Not Steve Holcombe?

Post by BaseClogger » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 pm

And then there’s gaining an additional year of service time :)
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:56 pm

BaseClogger wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 pm
That is WAY less fun than all of the very valid reasons I just gave that are not that very good and possibly realized point.

You think Marcus will ever put in a players union?

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 pm

aaronweiner wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:56 pm
BaseClogger wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 pm
That is WAY less fun than all of the very valid reasons I just gave that are not that very good and possibly realized point.

You think Marcus will ever put in a players union?
It doesn’t seem like it would be terribly difficult to code. Create a scoring method for player treatment and then RNG the likelihood of the outcomes. I’m at least open to the concept.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Jacksonville Zombies”