2040.2 Who's on First?

GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

ae37jr
BBA GM

2040.2 Who's on First?

Post by ae37jr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Who's on First?

On of the more complex questions that needs to be answered this spring.

With defensive wizard, walk machine, and Filipino heart throb Luzvimindo Arbizo taking his talents to the Kings City, Brooklyn is left wondering who is to play first base? First base is probably the easiest position to fill, so this shouldn't be hard. And it isn't. There are lots of options both in house and out of house. But when it comes to actually filling out a lineup card, tough decisions need to be made. Let's take a look at some of the options...

José García
Garcia has been groomed for this spot and after a .308/.370/.462 September, he proved that he is ready to be a middle of the order bat in the BBA. His only negative is defense. 1/2/2/1 is not great. Nor is it good or even bad. It's awful. And for a team that had one of the best team defenses in the league last season and a staff full of ground ball pitchers.... it's alarming.

José Ramos
Ramos is our right fielder of the future who is now ready for prime time. His 9/9/8/5/6 bat should put up some beastly numbers. We are pegging him as a DH in 2040 because of the immergence of Gualtiero Crisci, Bobby Parker, and fellow Largo Bollo Hermanos(Long Ball Brothers) Felipe Vega have crowded the outfield mix. But if we are putting Ramos at DH anyway, then why not flip him with Garcia at 1B since Vega should be a better fielder with some reps. It would also increase Ramos' flexibility.

Art O'Bryan
Even though we just drafted him last year and he just turned 19, O'Bryan is almost BBA ready in this ADD driven world of player development. His power still has a bit to go, so we are not talking opening day with O'Bryan. But it's not out of the question to mark the all star break as a potential call up spot. Or almost definitely by September. So when figuring things out we need to factor in that at some point, Art is going to push his way into the equation and have a plan in place for when that happens.

Mark Simpson?
Simpson is currently sitting in free agency and to my eyes, I have not seen a do-able bid come his way. Brooklyn has more then enough financial muscle to make a deal happen today if they so choose. In a way he is a really great fit. The Robins always use a lot of platoons and currently are lefty heavy. Not only does Simpson hit well enough to not have to be platooned, he is also a better righty hitter.

The downside is money of course. Brooklyn has been burned by long term contracts to age 30+ hitters before and giving Simpson the six year deal he is asking seems like a sucker bet. While there would no doubt be an upgrade from Garcia to Simpson, is it a $15 million upgrade? Would acquiring Simpson make Brooklyn Landis favorites? If you answered no, then it's probably wise the team doesn't go this route.

Short Side
Clarence Kirkpatrick
Kirpatrick has a big league bat and tears up lefty pitching. One of those players that is seemingly better then his ratings suggest. He makes a lot of errors though. The Brooklyn Robins view is that errors are the most important defensive stat. After all, it doesn't matter how many balls you can get to if you can't squeeze the glove. If the team goes with someone like Garcia, or Ramos, even O'Bryan... they are going to want a late inning defensive sub to play the position. Now, they can use whoever is not starting of the J.J. McQuade/Nico Eijpe platoon. But then where is the usefulness of having Kirkpatrick on the roster even?

Mario Balderas
Like it or not, Brooklyn is stuck with Balderas for another season. His defense has lumped to the point where outfield play is no longer an option. When the team brought in Pat Allen to be the short side DH, it took away any role Mario had on the team. But what about 1B? I mean he did hit .303/.350/.513 last season. That is probably the high water mark of expectation, but it lends to reason he isn't a total lump. His 2/5/4/1 infield defense should be good enough to play the first 6 innings of a game.

So this spring should be fun with lots of new faces getting reps at 1B. One more reason for me to lobby within earshot of BETA team members to demand split squad spring training games. I'm open to feedback on how you think we should handle first base. Right now I'm leaning a Vega/Balderas platoon with a 7th inning defensive sub of either McQuade/Eijpe. Slotting Garcia as the DH. I won't lie though I'm salivating over the thought of having Simpson hit between Vega and Ramos. Even if it means I'll be destined for a mix and match pitching staff.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: 2040.2 Who's on First?

Post by jleddy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:20 pm

"O'Bryan is almost BBA ready in this ADD driven world of player development" Love that..so true!

An short-term over-pay for Simpson would be interesting in Brooklyn, however I dig the out-of-the-box thinking of maybe trying Ramos out at 1B. His high Adaptability and Work Ethic ratings could make the transition palatable.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:27 pm

You could probably get Jon mick for a ham sandwich...
GM Vancouver Mounties

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:39 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:27 pm
You could probably get Jon mick for a ham sandwich...
Is that why they call him porky? Cause he has the trade equivalent of a ham sandwich. I always thought he was just a husky fella.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 pm

:angry:
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21