GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

ae37jr
BBA GM

2039.7 Running on Empty

Post by ae37jr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:38 am

Running on Empty

This hoopty may not go the distance, but it's damn sure winning first in show

Back in the pennant race of 2035, we did a ridealong article where we sat shotgun as Robins GM Alan Ehlers took the road less traveled to the park. In attempts to recreate some of the magic that lead Brooklyn to the Cartwright Cup that season, what better then to try this again.

Upon entering the shore neighborhood of Keansburg, NJ we have our first unexpected twist. The 1988 Camaro z-28 that we are suppose to be driving in is up on cinder blocks in the driveway. I quickly apologize to the GM and ask if he wants to shoot another day, take another car, call an uber perhaps? But he quickly scoffs at those options.

"What? Are you kidding me? Why would you not want to ride in this beauty? Sure, I need to take some extra care of it. Some of the parts are old and brittle. And as far as this... I rotate the tires 3 times a week whether they need it or not. Manufacturer only recommends 3 times a year, but I do it extra times just to get people to wonder if their car would run better rotating them more. It's all mind games. At the end of the day each tire rotates the same amount in each location. It's just funnier when the other guys tire randomly blows before mine and I razz them about how if they would have cycloned them tires they would have got another 10,000 miles out of it."

With all 4 tires now rotated, we get in the car and drive away. The first thing I notice is that the tank is almost on empty. I recommended that we stop to fill up. Cause even though Keansburg to Brooklyn is technically just 10-15 miles away. You can't exactly drive across the Raritan Bay.

"We've got enough gas. Have I ever told you that my late father was a weekend warrior race car driver? He spent literally every Saturday night of his adult life at Wall Stadium. Exit 98 for all who speak Jersian. Whether it was building and driving his own number 37, or helping his brothers and nephews with their cars. And one thing he taught me was the importance of drafting. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you got there, it just matters that you got there. So if you ride real close behind a pack, you will have almost zero drag on your car and you will be able to just as fast as them all while conserving gas."

One could say that the 2039 Robins are "drafting". They have been trailing the wild card for quite some time now and are riding so close that no one really sees them or expects them to win. Shortly after we go over the Driscoll Bridge Ehlers slows the car down to a snails pace. Uh oh? Did the check engine light come on?

"No, there is just a really important decision I need to make and it Is time sensitive. Everyday when I drive past that "New Brunswick" sign I get a feeling. And one day that feeling is going to be right and I'm going to take that exit and drive over to Mr. and Mrs. Vega's house and personally congratulate them on their son getting promoted to the BBA. But.... that day is not today... doesn't feel right. But it's coming soon and he will be the shot that gets us over the hump."

Vega is one of several Brooklyn prospects that can help this team win now. But calling him up now as opposed to say May of next season would put his free agent clock back a few time zones. It's no doubt a stressful position to be in. If Brooklyn is sure they can steal this payoff opportunity, they NEED to do this. But if they call up multiple prospects and then miss the boat, it's an all out failure.

"The thing I like about this car, is that it's mostly stock. Sure, some people restore classics by trying to go out and acquire fancy pieces to gain top performance. But I stick with stock pieces. It's like they say... 'they don't make 'em like they used to!" So why go out and spend millions on a top end starter when the stock model I got does it's job. Maybe it isn't as sexy looking as the flimsy aftermarket versions. But it will get the job done just as well."

As the Camaro pulls into the parking lot of McDermott Park, it sticks out like a sore thumb amongst all the luxury sedans and sports cars in the player parking lot. Peacocking it's way around cars way out of it's league, the Camaro holds it's own identity. Not for it's newness, nor it's fancy features... not for a fresh paint job. It stands out because it's a classic. Built with some parts that might be too old for most people's tastes. The door handle wiggles when you tug on it, the car may not be properly balanced. Flaws that to some are inexplicable. But to the Robins GM, those flaws are what help make it an American classic.

"At the end of the day, we probably aren't going to win the race. We might not even make it to the race. But what you have right here is a well oiled machine that can go toe to toe with the best cars money can buy. Remember that next time you and your Maserati pull up to the line next to an 'old Chevy Camaro with one headlight. If you beat us... you gain nothing, if you lose, you lose everything."
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2039.7 Running on Empty

Post by RonCo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Best read of the day.

Now to go rotate the tires.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

7teen
BBA GM

Re: 2039.7 Running on Empty

Post by 7teen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:48 pm

Great read....

Hopefully you were riding with the t-top off.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50