2038.22 Valdez Antics Getting Old?

GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

ae37jr
BBA GM

2038.22 Valdez Antics Getting Old?

Post by ae37jr » Mon May 20, 2019 6:11 pm

Valdez Antics Getting Old?

Brooklyn manager drops another grenade in a dumpster fire of a season.

How does that saying go? You get what you pay for? That's exactly what the Brooklyn Robins are saying now as they deal with the antics of 4th year manager Tomás Valdéz. Brought in before the 2035 season, Valdez was tasked with the job of winning a Landis for the team at any cost. His temperamental attitude and reputation as a field general seemed like the right fit for the situation and justified the 7 figure managerial deal. Things did not go according to plan and Valdez failed his mission. Now, with Brooklyn going nowhere fast, the 56 year old Miami native has seemed to wear out his welcome.

"Back when I was in the war in Iraq, we didn't abandon ship like this front office has done with this team. We hunkered down in the foxhole and fought to the bitter end win or lose. When I look around this clubhouse, I don't see many soldiers I'd want to go to war with. Just a bunch of kids with no future and overpaid vets who don't give a f*ck."

Valdez's words couldn't have come at a worse time. The lame duck manager has just 2 weeks left on his contract. The team had been contemplating the pro's and con's of extending Valdez already. This latest outburst may have officially signed the discharge papers.

"We take winning seriously here in Brooklyn. While Valdez has won more games then he has lost here, we feel a sense of disappointment with his performance both on and off the field. 2035 went really well, but the honeymoon was over with a disappointing 2036. In 2037 we feel we gave Tom every tool needed to bring home a Landis only to walk away early. Now, 2038, this is arguably the low point in this franchises storied history. The team was lost during the final third of the season and thus a change is necessary." -Brooklyn GM

While many expected the change to happen immediately, the Robins have pumped the breaks on that notion. As of now they may look to bring in someone from outside the organization if it makes sense. If not, it's widely expected that bench coach Paul Marfell will be the teams next leader.

Manfrell has been with the organization since 2024, serving as a minor league pitching coach for 9 seasons. Expressing a desire to become a manager, Paul was promoted to AAA manager in 2034. In his one and only season as a skipper, he won the league championship. He was then whisked away to the Brooklyn bench coach gig to be groomed as the manager in waiting. The Robins like Manfrell's tactical style and his game strategies line up with organizational philosophies almost to a tee. There is some concern that he'll be able to handle the big league attitudes that come with the position. But since Brooklyn prioritizes good personal traits, it's likely not to be a big issue.

If Manfrell becomes boss, then franchise legend Travis McDermott will likely become his right hand man. McDermott started with the Robins(then Baltimore Ravens in 1996 at the age of 23. He was brought back to the team last year in the miscast role of hitting coach in order to be a good luck charm. It's blatantly obvious that he is in over his head with the modern hitters and he will not return to that role next season.

There have been some other minor league coaching firings made this week. I'm sure no one cares. If you do, check the transaction wire. We are just clearing up more positions for legacy coaches this winter. Sam Adams is all but certain to come aboard as a hitting coach. While Rick Ward, Holden Blackwell, Corey Jackson(hitting coach?) and long time minor league player coach Gabriel Draper are all under consideration if and when they retire. The team is also looking into converting the first ever player to team trainer at some point. But that will likely be a few years away.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2038.22 Valdez Antics Getting Old?

Post by RonCo » Mon May 20, 2019 6:28 pm

I love the old rosin bag as grenade trick.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brooklyn Robins”