GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

ae37jr
BBA GM

2038.19 Goooooooof-eeeeeeey

Post by ae37jr » Mon May 13, 2019 9:17 am

Goooooooof-eeeeeeey

400th HR or not, that was bush league.

There is a time honored tradition in baseball that you do not show up your opposition no matter what the situation is. The Brooklyn Robins feel that Norris Rutledge broke that tradition with his recent antics.
Rutledge Reaches 400 Mark
Friday, August 20th, 2038
A big sigh of relief erupted from Norris Rutledge after he hit his 400th career homer. The Huntsville first baseman said, "I'm glad it's over...now I can go back to just playing baseball."

It was quite a day for Rutledge. He got his name in the league record books with 3 hits, 1 RBI, scored 1 run and his team, the Huntsville Phantoms beat the Brooklyn Robins 11-4.

Rutledge knew it when he hit it. He raised his hands in the air, then ran the bases like a high school player, clapping and grinning.

He told reporters in the postgame interview, "I was acting goofy running the bases... but it was my 400th home run."

"It was great," his manager said. "He stood there and watched it...we all did.
You just felt it was coming...you just had a sense he would hit it soon. He has been having a lot of good at-bats. It was great to get it out of the way."

In his career Rutledge has hit .296 with 1829 hits, 400 home runs, 1132 RBIs and scored 1118 runs.
Rather then hearing my boring banter. Let's hear what the Brooklyn players had to say.....

Manager Tom Valdez: "What a clown. I mean we beat them 3 out of four. This guy hits a solo HR and he acts like he just won a Landis. Newsflash buddy... you ain't winning a Landis in Huntsville anytime soon."

J.J. McQuade: "Congrats on the homer Norris. That's a great accomplishment. But the trot? that was a little uncalled for."

Luke Lasalle(who gave up the homer): "360 feet. That's all you got? I've given up longer dingers to Reynaldo Ruíz.

Ryosei Akiyama: "日本語を練習する必要があります" (not sure if it's safe to translate that)

Luzvimindo Arbizo: "I'm not going to lie. I was secretly cheering for my old buddy Norris. Brookyln sucks anyway."

Juan Sweetworld: "If I played in Huntsville I'd probably have 400 HR too. What is the the RF line 100 ft?"

Alberto Benítez : "For Christs sake, he hit a homer off a pitcher who is only here for his last name."

Larry Good: So for his career he has 400 HR(likely all off RHP and about 10 weak hit singles off of LHP. Let me have this guy. Easy out!"

Arief Alatas: "Next time he comes to the plate in Brooklyn... I want everyone, all 50 fans, to get on their feet and yell... Goooooooof-eeeeeeey, Goooooooof-eeeeeeey"

Needless to say, tension was high for the remainder of the series. Brooklyn has promised revenge when he least expects it. But for now they settled for taking 3 out of 4 games of the series, Knocking the Phantoms further from the last wild card spot. They'll need to do a lot of heavy lifting to catch San Antonio. Something that would require two arms to do..... and we all know Rutledge and the rest of Huntsville struggle with that. Image
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: 2038.19 Goooooooof-eeeeeeey

Post by recte44 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:42 am

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Mon May 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks, Alan. I was looking for a good way to get into a TN on Rutledge's 400th ... and you gift wrapped it for me!

(Awesome post, by the way - I laughed out loud at the gif at the bottom! That's how I imagine the Huntsville lineup, too ...).

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Mon May 13, 2019 5:33 pm

You should get extra points for having Morty and Armathy. I want to say that's one of my favorite episodes, but I'd say that about all of them.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Mon May 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Also, he was an ass, but I love Ricky. One of the ten best players I've ever seen. I wonder if people realize how truly insanely great he was, or if he's still being "held back" in most people's minds by how the leadoff position was incorrectly assessed in the past.

Maybe I'm telling people stuff they already know, but by both fangraphs and baseball reference WAR, Henderson has the third highest total of hitters since his career began. All time, he's right there with Mickey Mantle and Lou Gerhig. He's top 20. The only players that are clearly better are guys like Williams, Musial, Mays, etc. (And of course Ruth and Bonds at the top.)
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brooklyn Robins”