2038.13 Draft Recap

GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

ae37jr
BBA GM

2038.13 Draft Recap

Post by ae37jr » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:25 pm

2038 Draft Recap

I figured that since I'm documenting this rebuild document, I need to at least say a blurb or two about each player. This way I can look back in a few years and try to figure out what went right and what went wrong. The immediate thing that jumps out at me is my blundering of the draft budget. Now, I knew I had extra picks...specifically drafted signable players... and still left myself about 500k short on draft budget. Like it says in the title folks, I'm the dummy here. So at least one of my 11 players left to be signed will be thrown back in the pool.

Drafted RF Jose Ramos in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 1, Pick 19, 19th overall pick).
I couldn't resist my own self imposed "don't draft a corner player" rule. Ramos is a split heavy lefty with serious offensive upside. He is the kind of middle of the order bat that can anchor an offense. Unfortunately, he may be the guy I throw back. This draft class was extremely deep. I want to sign as many players as I can. Not signing Ramos will give us the number 20 pick next year. Will we get the same type of player? Probably not. But the difference will definitely be closer then if we throw back two lower round picks.

Drafted SP Luis Espinosa (7/7/6 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Supplemental Round 1, Pick 5, 35th overall pick).
I really wanted to use this draft to beef up our pitching. Espinosa is a solid 17 year old southpaw with great stamina, a sick pickoff move and 3 potentially solid pitches. He does have a changeup, which is cause for concern. Recent algorithms may mitigate that risk. None the less, if he hits his potential, we're looking at a solid mid rotation pitcher who can give you 200-230 innings a season. Like a lot of Brooklyn's picks, Luis is very young and raw. This was strategically done. We are banking on our defense and catching ability in the minor leagues to cultivate high risk/high reward players. Only time will tell if it works.

Drafted SP Jimmy Cook (7/8/6 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 2, Pick 19, 58th overall pick).
Cook may be just as good, if not better then Espinosa. Only he is right handed and has inferior stamina. These two along with Juan Rodriguez, Luis German, Ultse Roseboom (5/7/6 Talents), and Santiago Carranza (6/5/5 Talents) finally give Brooklyn a somewhat formidable pipeline of young starting pitchers. Though ideally we want to double or triple that number of potential BBA pitchers knowing that some will flame out and SP are sought after in trades.

Drafted SS Richard Drouin (7/7/5/5/8 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 2, Pick 29, 68th overall pick).
Beyond pitching, we were focused on versatile infielders. Drouin is such a player. His 8/9/7/10 ratings should play all over the dirt. Ideally we see him as a left handed platoon 2B. But he'll be cross trained accordingly to increase roster flexibility.

Drafted CL Ramon Martinez in the 2038 first-year player draft (Supplemental Round 2, Pick 4, 75th overall pick).
Martinez is a left handed beastly closer type. His potential is 9/9/11 VS LHP. Motivating us to make this selection is the recent Huntsville conversions of RP->SP. Now, Martinez only has 2 stamina and is not eligible to be converted. The intriguing part is his age and the manner in which we use minor league pitchers. Brooklyn doesn't use short RP in the minors. Pretty much everyone is a 50 pitch a game pitcher. Some are starters, some are long men and some are stoppers. So what we are looking at is stretching out Martinez's stamina. I don't know if it can be done. But it's worth the effort to try. And if he touches 5 stamina then we will convert him to a future #1. If not, he's still a kick ass stopper.

Drafted SS Jorge Lugo in the 2038 first-year player draft (Supplemental Round 2, Pick 10, 81st overall pick).
Another versatile infielder. Lugo should be an above average hitter and a great fielder. You may notice his 9/8 bunting skills. Brooklyn has been testing bunting skills out and figuring out if it can be an undervalued trait. Initial testing shows that even if the slider is on max, players don't bunt for a hit enough for it to matter much. But we're trying to lengthen our sample size to see if that statement is really true.

Drafted LF Hadji Ufanisi (7/6/7/3/9 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 3, Pick 21, 102nd overall pick).
If we can get the money to work, we'll probably throw back Ufanisi and sign Ramos. I doubt that is possible though. Hadji, ironically enough is the name of ex-mlb player Keith Hernandez's cat. Hernandez was the Brooklyn GM's favorite player growing up and he has 3 cats of his own. In an ideal world that would be a great fun fact to stare at while the game hangs on 100%. So back to Ufanisi. He's one of those borderline players that will find a starting job in the BBA, but will likely be disappointing. Jack of all trades, master of none. But he has work ethic, leadership, can bunt, had solid stats in HS, and has a cool name. Outside of being a great player, he checks all the boxes.

Drafted SP Wilson Reyes (7/9/6 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 3, Pick 27, 108th overall pick).
Reyes is listed as a starter and will start in the low minors. But he is the prototypical high stamina relief pitcher that works well in the cyclone. Listed at 7/9/6, he'll probably turn into 8 or 9/9/6 when sent to the pen. He's also plus one stuff and two movement VS LHB. So theoretically, we're talking about 10/11/6 VS LHB. I know that's a lot of hypotheticals to process. I just think he is a pitcher who will thrive in our bullpen heavy system.

Drafted CL Louie Blackshaw (6/9/8 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 4, Pick 19, 135th overall pick).
Three RP is the first four rounds? We must be crazy. But you already knew that. Blackshaw is another lefty platoon heavy high movement pitcher. If nothing else, I'll be able to acquire any Huntsville player I wish with these picks. Blackshaw tops out at 7/10/8 VS lefties. He's also low stamina and has a token third pitch, so I guess that profiles him as a future loogy/setup man. But a really good one at that.

Drafted SS Ignacio Venegas (6/6/3/4/7 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 5, Pick 19, 165th overall pick).
Venegas is a 27th man type. Can play all over the diamond and should hit enough to justify a roster spot. Another good bunter.

Drafted SP Ismael Guzman (9/8/5 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 6, Pick 19, 195th overall pick).
A solid RH reliever who qualifies to be starter converted. I may try it here. Could turn out to be a great value pick or a bust.

Drafted 1B Ernesto Mendoza in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 7, Pick 19, 225th overall pick).
Life got in the way and was autopicked for a stretch here. This pick goes to show why you shouldn't draft 1B/DH. When you get auto'ed.. they find you! All in all, not a terrible pick. He's got potential to be a second division 1B. Will likely linger in my system till he's 30 and help us win some games on the farm.

Drafted LF Gary Currell (5/7/6/6/5 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 8, Pick 19, 255th overall pick).
I guess I drafted him last year. That was probably an auto pick too. He won't be around for long.

Drafted 1B Phil Hodges (5/7/6/5/5 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 9, Pick 19, 285th overall pick).
Has low greed yet wants a $1.6 mil bonus. Thanks for wasting my pick buddy.

Drafted CF Ernie Schoonmaker (4/5/6/6/3 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 10, Pick 19, 315th overall pick).
Good organizational player. Can play 7 positions fairly well,

Drafted CF Quinn Dunn (4/6/4/6/4 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 11, Pick 19, 345th overall pick).
Can never have too many left handed hitting CF. Going to need a bump or three here.

Drafted LF Ken Avery (4/5/6/6/4 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 12, Pick 19, 375th overall pick).
Coming to a free agent pool near you.

Drafted RP Rogerio Neri (5/7/4 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 13, Pick 19, 405th overall pick).
We lack pitching depth and he does have decent movement. I suppose he'll stick around a bit.

Drafted SS Jack Douglas (5/5/2/5/6 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 14, Pick 19, 435th overall pick).
I think this is where I jumped back in. I like JD more then I should(Jack Douglas (5/5/2/5/6 Talents) isn't so bad either). Can play multiple infield positions and is a bump or two away from being interesting.

Drafted 2B Andres Rios (5/5/2/5/5 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 15, Pick 19, 465th overall pick).
I think I was drafting to fill out my rosters at this point. Looking for the best versatile infielders I could find.

Drafted 2B Miguel Angel Colomo (5/6/3/5/6 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 16, Pick 19, 495th overall pick).
Same.

Drafted CF Naruhiko Sato (5/6/2/5/5 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 17, Pick 19, 525th overall pick).
More versatile organizational depth.

Drafted SP Jose Mejia (7/2/3 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 18, Pick 19, 555th overall pick).
He's got 10 stamina and 3 blue pitches. Being that this is round 18, that was good enough for me.

Drafted SP Edmundo Faia (6/2/4 Talents) in the 2038 first-year player draft (Round 19, Pick 19, 585th overall pick).
Another pitcher with lots of blue pitches and untapped potential. The later we go in the draft, I tend to shoot for the highest ceiling and pray for bumps to the main categories.

Drafted 2B Rafael Gonzales
Future team leader/captain.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: 2038.13 Draft Recap

Post by recte44 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:15 am

I had my eye on Espinosa- love that pick.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brooklyn Robins”