2037.7 Bouncing Checks and Gaining 'Spects

GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

ae37jr
BBA GM

2037.7 Bouncing Checks and Gaining 'Spects

Post by ae37jr » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:33 pm

Bouncing Checks and Gaining Spects

(Robins sign IFA despite having less pennies then positions he plays)

The 2027 version of International Free Agency is in the books and there were many surprise signings. One of them was by the Brooklyn Robins. On the surface, $1 million dollars doesn't seem like a lot for what looks to be the most versatile player ever to be discovered. In fact, it's been leaked that the Mexico City Aztecs had the same exact offer as the Robins. So why did Etienne Kop choose Brooklyn over Mexico City. Was it the USD-PESO conversion rate? Does he not like rainy weather? What was it that made the kid pick Brooklyn?

As it turns out, it is financial planning. The Brooklyn Robins hooked up with the Nigerian National Bank to offer Kop a deal he couldn't refuse. Rather then offering him a traditional lump sum signing bonus. Brooklyn deferred the payments as part of a "future planning" service. The Robins will invest said monies with the Nigerian National Bank until Kop turns 35. Which is ironically the projected year Brooklyn will turn a profit and get out of the red.

Somehow the kid bought it. And mind you that will be the only thing he'll be able to buy with this bounced signing bonus. It's well documented that Brooklyn lost $50 million last season and is expected to finish the 2017 season with a balance of negative $78 million. It's a planned loss designed to infuriate traditionalists who think this is a financial planning game and/or eventually kick off a long scale rebuild. If nothing else, this proves that you do not need bonus funds or a tight run ship to play in the IFA game. Even with the franchise in forclosure, Brooklyn still has the ability to sign it's draft picks and even snag an IFA or two. If they can do it. Anyone can.

So about this Kop kid. Offensively he's nothing special. But when you dig deeper... he is a white elephant. A left handed hitting catcher with 9 ability... who can also play the infield.... and can also play the outfield. If you have no shame, he is capable of playing anywhere on the diamond. He is definately a diamond glove caliber catcher. He is also an above average corner infielder and outfielder. The rest is at your discretion. I wouldn't reccomend 2B, SS, or CF but I've seen worse. If he picks up all these positions then there will be no filter folks. I'll give him the Calvin Clohessy treatment and crosstrain the heck out of him just to see all the pretty green and blue numbers littered across his scouting report.

I guess you could call this more of a pet project then a "I think this guy is going to be awesome" signing. Brooklyn has been one of the most position versatile teams in the league and we just had to have this guy. He could turn into a BBA player even with current projections. Almost every team seems to have that 5 contact, no power defensive guy lurking at the tail end of their roster. Kop would give added value as a superior catcher capable of moving all over the diamond. Not many(if any?) teams carry a third catcher. So he adds a lot of value in the unordinary.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Re: 2037.7 Bouncing Checks and Gaining 'Spects

Post by GoldenOne » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:55 pm

Imagine what he will be like when he gets old and you position-specialize him to LF or 1B....
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brooklyn Robins”