2036.11 The Ultimate Rebuild: June 5th

GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

ae37jr
BBA GM

2036.11 The Ultimate Rebuild: June 5th

Post by ae37jr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 am

June 5th 2036
So this pet project has been in developmental stages for quite some time. My goal all along was to destroy my finances and my farm system, then have a fire sale the day after the Landis ends in 2037(hopefully following a ticker tape parade). That would be the event that kicked off the start of this monumental task of rebuilding a franchise. But as I sat there at my desk in the late rounds of the 2035 amateur draft, I thought damn, there is an awful lot of players still in the pool.

The chance to replenish the farm system was too big to ignore. I decided to go ahead and roll up my sleeves and start building from the ground up. After the conclusion of the draft, 100's of disparaged youngsters filed for free agency. Their hopes and dreams crushed by draft exclusion. The Brooklyn scouting team did a comprehensive run through of all of these kids. After all, they were eager to sign and pursue their dream.

We looked for various things. The first go around we tried to find players that really should have been drafted. Ignored platoon splits, mislabeled positions, and relief conversions lead the way. Then we went on to players that were a small bump or two away from being relevant. An example of that would be a pitcher with 8/3/8 potential with a couple of solid pitches. Sure the movement sucks. But if we get enough of these guys maybe one or two will make it worth it.

Convinced that other teams would be dog fighting along with us in the dumpster, we went ahead and dug deeper. Extreme stats is what we were looking for. The guys with the best eye, the highest movement, the most stamina. The best defenders and catchers with highest ability. Pitchers with high pitch ratings. We pretty much offered a contract to anyone that was better then the fast food workers my scout usually finds. Honestly, the guy should have been fired they day he brought back Tony Rodriguez. I mean.. really? 2/2/2 potential with no pitch rated higher then 3? And he's a miserable human being? [/rant]

All told Brooklyn signed 90+ players that day. The number wasn't meant to be that high. We figured other teams would steal some. After all, these weren't just any 90 players. This is what we considered to be the best out of the close to a thousand who entered the pool. Our plan was to get as many as we could and then hold a scouting combine and release the ones that didn't make the cut. After the first rounds of cuts, 60+ entered various levels of Brooklyns minor leagues replacing players that were either older or less talented.

So are we supposed to be excited about this? Not really. Most of these guys are bums. But you know what? Francisco Ruiz (10/7/6 Talents) was a bum once. So was Emilio Morales and Tai hoi Wie (9/7/10/10/5 Talents). Players do bump. And while there is no telling who will bump. We did the best job we could at trying to find young players who with think could be awesome(or at least decent) if they bump. This isn't all glory folks. If I'm trying to achieve the Ultimate Rebuild, quality players aren't just going to fall in my lap. You have to grind it out and work for them.

June 5th 2036 will be remembered as the unofficial start to the minor league phase of this rebuild. Dumpster diving has continued on a sim to sim basis as other teams draftees get signed and they release some of their own youngsters. Brooklyn will continue to sign minor league free agents. That's the biggest takeaway here. As long as they are better then the worst player in your organization, it's worth it. It's a tedious process but has served the Robins well over the years. Current pitchers Francisco Ruiz (10/7/6 Talents), Jorge Perez, Leonardo Montes (10/5/2 Talents), and recently traded Grellan Profit (10/6/7 Talents) were all signed to minor league contracts for zero dollars in the open market over the years.

As time goes by, some will lump and some will bump. We will drop the lumpers for new signee's to keep the process going. We'll also use many of these players as "B prospect" or "lottery picks" in trades. Over the years I've gained a lot of notes on what other GM's in the league look for in players. I had trading in mind specifically when picking up players with extreme skills. A player could be total garbage, but if he's 19 and has 8 movement or a 7 eye or a 10 catcher ability... he does have some trade value. You just need to find the GM that values that particular skillset.

What's next for all these signed players and the rebuilding process? Playing time allotment. Playing time is probably the single biggest developmental tool there is. We'll get an inside look at how we plan to get as much playing time for as many of these players as possible. And how cross training will help this process. So stayed tuned till next time.

(I originally went through and made a list of all the June 5th players still in our system. It was 60+ player and my browser crashed and I lost the whole article. I've made the executive decision that the list wasn't exciting enough to do again. A couple of noteable names are Ben Perez (5/7/3/6/5 Talents) who is already 6/8/3/6/6 VS RHP with 9/11/6 outfield defense and Eugene Hodges (6/6/5/6/6 Talents) who is just 19 and 7/6/6/5/7 current VS RHP but kind of crappy(but playable) in the outfield.)
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Re: 2036.11 The Ultimate Rebuild: June 5th

Post by GoldenOne » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:45 am

Sounds like fun Alan. Good luck with this. Let me know how/when I can be of help... :D
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:50 am

great start. looking forward to following along.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:15 pm

This isn't all glory folks. If I'm trying to achieve the Ultimate Rebuild, quality players aren't just going to fall in my lap. You have to grind it out and work for them.
There's a lot to be said for this.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brooklyn Robins”