2036.8 Draft Underway

GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

ae37jr
BBA GM

2036.8 Draft Underway

Post by ae37jr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:34 pm

Draft Underway

(Dan Flores gets a big hug from his dad.)

It was around this time last season that I would blog about how the Brooklyn Robins had the most under rated farm system in the league. Well, that was last year and a lot can happen in a year. The Robins traded 3 spects for Mario Balderas. 3 more for Fernando Cruz. Yet another 3 for a couple of months of Alfredo Salazar. Then they traded 2 more prospects for Herve Billy and Robert Hansen. Heck, they even traded two prospect for a guy who didn't even have an at bat for them. That's a whopping 13 prospects traded away.

That's not even counting the guys brought up to the BBA. Manual Romano, Manuel Andres, Grellan Profit, Luis Salinas, Ryosei Akiyama, Luis Ayala, Carlos Flores, Sam Wade, Antony Henderson, Michael MacCrain, and Jose Campos who were all rookies either this year or last. With additions of Javier Francisco(next sim), Clarence Kirkpatrick, Carlos Alonso, Jose Zuniga, and Takeo Aoki expected to debut soon. So all in all, Brooklyn has graduated 29 prospects from the system in the past year or so. What does is all mean? It mean it's time to restock the cupboards because the farm system now sucks.

After throwing back last years 1st round pick, The Robins got to pick #11 and #14 overall in what could be the most stacked draft ever. A case could be made for taking the best bat or arm available seeing that the farm is so depleted right now. You could also argue that Brooklyn could look to a higher upside, less developed player as they could be cornerstones of the next rebuild. The Robins opted to use the picks on typical Brooklyn players. Solid fielding position versatile players who can hit a little.

First up is Dan Flores. This pick is probably a surprise to most. A right handed 3 star bat who can't hit HR or draw a walk going this high? Blasphemy! Well, the Robins like him. He kind of reminds them of Abdelwahab Kamade a little. His 10/8/8 defense should be able to play CF for any team in the league. He is also rated 7/5/7/6 on the infield. He will be cross trained in the minors to play everywhere.

What is the point of training a potential Zimmer level CF to play mediocre at best SS you ask? Well sometimes we play 9 innings and sometimes we play 19 innings. During the latter Brooklyn doesn't want to be caught with their hands in their pockets because they can't pinch hit for the weak hitting shortstop because they have no replacement.

So defensively, he'll get in where he fits in. Right now Brooklyn has 21 year old MacCrain(9/11/10) and 19 year old Campos(9/8/8) platooning in CF with 25 year old Billy(10/10/11) backing them up. There may not be a pressing need for a CF anytime soon. But the flexibility that Brooklyn has amassed is unparalleled and probably has a big part in why they have been better then most have predicted them to be.

Offensively Flores can be a good but not great player. Red Robin Park is a great park for right handed contact hitters that rarely strikeout. If he hits his potential, a .330 batting average shouldn't be a stretch. He'll also hit some doubles and triples, maybe even a HR or two. One of the major factors that drew Brooklyn to Flores over some similar players was his stats. While more of a ratings guy then a stats guy, GM Alan Ehlers likes to compare the results to the skills. A .456/.523/.877 batting line suggests that Flores could be able to move up the ranks fast and is less likely to bust.

A couple of picks later, Brooklyn snagged Rocky Unknown. Rusty as his friends like to call him is yet another gifted defender with 9/8/9 outfield skills and 7/5/7/5 in the dirt. Defensively he is a near doppelganger to Dan Flores. Offensively, Rusty might be a tick better. While he is slightly inferior to Flores in contact and avoid K, he is much better in HR and eye(geriatric sabermetrics rejoice!).

I always like to look at BBA comparables and Unknown to me looks like he's similar to Thad Meyer of Phoenix. Maybe not his 2035 season, cause that was absolutely sick and he was surrounded by a killer offense. But whatever a typical Thad Meyer year would be. Maybe a .280 average, 20 HR, 40 doubles, very good defense. That will do the trick. One area that almost scared Brooklyn away was his sub par stats. Just like Flores we are talking about a 14 game sample size here. So it's not the end all be all. It's just Unknown put up a less then desirable .240/.345/.380 line. But now that I see the update. He's hitting .286/.396/.519 through 21 games. Just goes to show how hard it is to judge these young guys on just a couple of games.

So to wrap up this "my team is awesome" team news and cash in my two CP points(aka $200k after my broke ass turns them in for cash to finish paying Enrique "Mo Vaughn" Salazar the money we owe him for leaving him in DFA a day too long on the last sim of the season). Umm, wow, that last sentance was a train wreck. Anyway, Brooklyn adds two more versatile guys to the mix. The key here is that they should be BBA ready sooner rather then later. The Robins will eventally need a replacement for Balderas in right field. Unknown could hit well enough and be an all world defender there if they go that route, or maybe these guys get traded before the run is over. No matter what, these two guys are better then anyone Brooklyn drafted in last seasons shitty draft. So that itself is a win.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

7teen
BBA GM

Re: 2036.8 Draft Underway

Post by 7teen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 am

I would have probably taken Unknown had he fallen to me at 17. I had him over Torres.

After looking, I may like Torres more just because I prefer LH bats over RH.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50