2035.17 Full Dugout

GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

ae37jr
BBA GM

2035.17 Full Dugout

Post by ae37jr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:23 pm

Full Dugout

(Robins ask commish… how many PP to add more dugout seats?)

Can you smell that? Nope, this is not another toilet humor article. Fall is in the air. And that can only mean one thing. Roster expansion. General managers around the BBA have a varied opinion on the process. Some like to call up a few players to add some depth to the team, some like to add little to nothing for fear of ruining a good thing with lesser players. Then there is the Brooklyn Robins. The would call up every player in their organization if rules allowed it.

The Robins currently sit at 39 men on the active roster with two more(Geraldo Castillo and Jon Chandler) sitting in DFA limbo waiting for an injury or opportunity. The lone member of the 40 man roster not with the big league team is a 20 year old relief pitching prospect who got injured in the Fall League, thus automatically put on the secondary roster by a league that seems to have it in for the Robins this season.

Rather then just adding players to the roster blindly, Brooklyn took some time prior to the trade deadline and mapped out a plan. They looked ahead at players that would have been eligible for the rule 5 draft this winter. There was a lot of them. The Robins had very solid drafts in 2031-2032. They also brought in some free agents and some waiver claims throughout the years. I'm not trying to say they had the best farm in the league, but they may have had the deepest. Even after trading away 9 solid prospects to net Mario Balderas, Fernando Cruz, and Alfredo Salazar, the Robins still had plenty of meh prospects who would have been exposed to the Rule 5 draft this winter.

So being in a pennant race, Brooklyn opted to trade some of those meh prospects for trashy one dimensional players that have been rotting away on the trade block. The results of this process were staggering. Teams far and wide offered the shittiest of players to Brooklyn. It's rumored that the Robins had to sift through well over 50 names before settling on Herve Billy, Ronald White, and Robert Hansen. They all bring something to the table that Brooklyn was lacking.

Billy is perhaps the second best defensive outfielder in the BBA. The Robins were intent on using elite defenders as late inning subs all over the diamond. Billy will join Michael MacCrain, Carlos Camacho, Raul Miranda, Tony Gustafsen, Arief Alatas, Juan Diaz, and Sean Smith as the teams lock down end game defensive unit. Brooklyn also liked Billy over some of the other similar players offered because he was young, still pre arbitration and has an option year left. Expect Herve to play in AAA next season and like the song goes, we will... "See you in September".

Ronald White checked a lot of boxes. He has yet to get in a game and even if he doesn't, that's perfectly fine with Brooklyn. The Queens, NY native was brought in mostly cause of his popularity and leadership. Characteristics that play huge in September baseball. White is also a super pinch runner and a pretty solid bat. His ability to avoid the 'ole K is something that the Robins always put a little extra value in. A source has told me that Robins GM Alan Ehlers, the soothsayer that he is, has predicted that White will have a walk off pinch hit during Brooklyn's 13 game homestand to close the season. If he does that and nothing else, the trade was well worth it.

Last but not least is Robert Hansen. Hansen was a different sort of deal. 37 year old Brooklyn Loogy Mark Little has started to lump this season. Rather then waiting till the offseason to acquire another one, Brooklyn opted to expedite the process because you can never have too many arms. Another thought behind this trade is that, at the time, Brooklyn was aligned with Huntsville in a potential first round playoff matchup. I'm hearing that the Robins were looking into lining up an entirely left handed pitching staff(with the exception of Francisco Ruiz as a ROOGY) for that unique matchup. But now with the Phantoms riding a 16 game losing streak(not quite sure what that equates to in PYTH record)... I guess the world will never know.

So with all these bodies in the dugout, Brooklyn has accentuated what the team was built upon... depth and specialization. This is not and has never been a team built on superstars. It's a team that utilizes the entire 40 man roster in the quest to find the correct matchup for the situation on hand. One might think by looking at the depth charts that the Robins no longer uses as many platoons. That is #fakenews. Brooklyn just platoons differently now. Their game plan is to stack the starting lineup with the best hitters possible, get a lead, then swap out the entire diamond for the best fielders possible. If by chance the game goes into extra innings, they have a plethora of high contact, low K guys such as Antonio Valentin, Ricardo Guzman, Ricardo Guerra, Ronald White, Carlos Flores, Carlos Alonso and Raul Miranda waiting to get the big hit.

On the pitching end, Brooklyn has opted for a 15 man staff. That is rather tame by their standards. You could say it's actually 17 as Brooklyn have been known to rotate over paid pitchers that have cleared waivers in and out of the action based on matchups and fatigue. But on any given sim, it's going to be a 15 man staff. Rather then going with traditional roles, the Robins are going full out "Tampa Bay Rays" with their staff. Limiting their starters to just 50 pitches and allowing them to pitch on short rest and/or out of the pen. It's more or less the arcade version of the pitching platoon Brooklyn has been employing on and off for years. One week is way too short of a sample, but initial results and observations suggest the team will look to continue its exploration in this philosophy.

So there you have it folks. 39 man united with a single goal. Winning the Landis. Actually make that two goals. Winning the Landis and me bumping that bogus poll where nobody thought we'd make the playoffs and telling you all to suck it.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Re: 2035.17 Full Dugout

Post by scottsdale_joe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 pm

Too bad I sold the Hahn chair.
You could use that.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 pm

scottsdale_joe wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 pm
You could use that.
Don't think I could have fit the Hahn chair under my cap. It looked rather luxurious. I have just enough room for a couple of turned over milk crates.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Post by scottsdale_joe » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 pm

:bowtie:
ae37jr wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:14 pm
scottsdale_joe wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:42 pm
You could use that.
Don't think I could have fit the Hahn chair under my cap. It looked rather luxurious. I have just enough room for a couple of turned over milk crates.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

starfox64
Ex-GM

Post by starfox64 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:13 pm

This is a headspinning amount of management :blink:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brooklyn Robins”