Brooklyn State of Mind: Robins GM Has Strange Experience (2059.2)

GM: Ben Heuring

Moderator: lordtoffee

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Brooklyn State of Mind: Robins GM Has Strange Experience (2059.2)

Post by lordtoffee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:38 pm

It had been a late night in the Brooklyn front office after the now infamous press conference, and Chief Baseball Officer Ben Heuring was feeling a lot better than he had over the weekend. He apologized to the Governing Board for flipping the hell out, and had resolved that he would focus on the positives. Those positives were that there are still plenty of quality free agents out there, and that the Robins could have been saved from themselves. With his work done, Ben drove out from his office and to a little dive bar in Crown Heights. The owner was an old friend, and Ben often dined here in a private table in the back room.

As he sat down to enjoy his chicken fingers, jalapeno poppers, and chocolate cake, a white light engulfed the room, and Ben looked around confused. Then, a stranger sat down next to him. "Hello, Ben. Do not be alarmed. I am the Spirt of the Brooklyn Robins. I have watched over the franchise for years, and have appeared to members of the team in times of need. Just do me a favor and listen."

Ben nodded, and was too confused to think straight. This whole thing had been messing with his mind. Now, he had a spirit appear to him? That wasn't something they mentioned when he signed his contract, but at this point he wasn't going to argue.

"Good. What happened happened, and others have moved on. If you can't move on, then you are failing your duty of care to the franchise. Those two players may be great players, but this team has holes that even two great players can't fill. There are still some good players who want to come to Brooklyn, Rule 5 guys, and some guys in the draft. This offseason isn't over, and you owe it to yourself to not let this define 2059 for you. You have Cookie Monster Trujilo ready to go, Frank Liyongo ready to go from the farm system. You weren't likely to jump from 48 wins to 78 wins. You can overcome this, and I know that you will. The best part is that when you get the Robins back to where you want to go, it will feel so sweet to you."

Postscript:
Consider this a sort of apology. The Spirit is right. Whomever gets McNeill and Wullenweber can take the full satisfaction that any GM gets when landing a big fish, and this offseason isn't over. I promise you that I will still compete as hard as everyone else to improve this team as best as I can, and use what happened as a positive instead of a negative and take advantage of this chance.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Brooklyn State of Mind: Robins GM Has Strange Experience (2059.2)

Post by ae37jr » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:28 pm

Be glad that you got out of those contracts. Wullenweber is done. He'll be out of the league by the end of next season. And while McNeil is a great player, he is not going to be a 40 win player. By the time Brooklyn closes the gap, he'll be old and falling apart too.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:57 pm

I agree that those would have both been bad contracts for the Robins.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Post by lordtoffee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm

Dington wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:57 pm
I agree that those would have both been bad contracts for the Robins.
ae37jr wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:28 pm
Be glad that you got out of those contracts. Wullenweber is done. He'll be out of the league by the end of next season. And while McNeil is a great player, he is not going to be a 40 win player. By the time Brooklyn closes the gap, he'll be old and falling apart too.
Interesting thoughts gentlemen. I guess this is a saving me from myself move, as I saw the shiny prizes and couldn’t help myself. This could be like when the Yankees almost signed Albert Belle back in 1998 and almost let Bernie Williams walk to the Red Sox.

At the very least, this could be a very interesting BBA alternate history scenario. The only problem is that if you change one thing about the league history, it would be impossible to say what would happen without having multiple valid arguments.

RT60
BBA GM

Post by RT60 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:59 pm

They must serve some nice ale in that dive bar to get a visit from a Spirit!

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Post by lordtoffee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:21 pm

RT60 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:59 pm
They must serve some nice ale in that dive bar to get a visit from a Spirit!
Crazy things happen after 2 AM.

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:48 pm

Nothing good happens after midnight.
ImageImageImageImageImage

trmmilwwi
BBA GM

Post by trmmilwwi » Wed May 01, 2024 7:06 am

Firm believer nothing good happens after 2am. ;)
trmmilwwi - GM San Antonio Outlaws
MBWBA Manager of the Year FL 2010, JL 2016, JL 2018

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Thu May 02, 2024 6:10 pm

ae37jr wrote:
He's old as hell, that's why the Hustlers are in on him

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Thu May 02, 2024 7:39 pm

recte44 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 6:10 pm
ae37jr wrote:
He's old as hell, that's why the Hustlers are in on him
There is a big difference between Vegas and Brooklyn though. Vegas won 90 games. If he's the guy that gets you over the hump, absolutely go for it. If the hump is too big, it's probably better to bring in 4-5 solid players rather than one or two superstars. Especially if they are old.

That's just my opinion though. Everyone can run their teams how they want. As long as this game is fun, you are winning.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brooklyn Robins”