What the...?!?!?

Discuss current Major League Baseball here.
cheekimonk
BBA GM

What the...?!?!?

Post by cheekimonk » Tue May 08, 2012 12:09 am

Hamels gets 5 games for poking a rookie in the ribs?!?!

Cole Hamels suspended

That is just flat out ridiculous. I guess it helps to think he's being punished for bragging about it publicly. Getting punk'd by the kid stealing home should have been punishment enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Re: What the...?!?!?

Post by jiminyhopkins » Tue May 08, 2012 12:24 am

I thought justice was served when Jordan Zimmerman got him back in the 3rd inning. Thats the way it's supposed to work. Hamels won't even miss a start, so the suspension is a joke.
GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

JimBob2232
BBA GM

What the...?!?!?

Post by JimBob2232 » Tue May 08, 2012 5:09 am

It will cost him some money...but really the suspension is more for being stupid and admitting it than it is for throwing at him.

The best payback was Harper stealing home on him. This is why this kid is going to be great. He is a complete distraction wherever he is. 3rd base you have to worry about him steeling home. Outfield you have to worry about his arm. At the place...well we havent really seen that yet....but I think it's coming.

He is very fun to watch and I'm glad that this far anyway, he has maintained his composure and not shown any signs of the immaturity that could plague him.

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 am

JimBob2232 wrote:It will cost him some money...but really the suspension is more for being stupid and admitting it than it is for throwing at him.

The best payback was Harper stealing home on him. This is why this kid is going to be great. He is a complete distraction wherever he is. 3rd base you have to worry about him steeling home. Outfield you have to worry about his arm. At the place...well we havent really seen that yet....but I think it's coming.

He is very fun to watch and I'm glad that this far anyway, he has maintained his composure and not shown any signs of the immaturity that could plague him.
Yeah, most things I've read that mention his attitude say it's more too much confidence for his age than being an ass. I have yet to see his arm...I'll have to look for some highlight clips. You're young superstars have to have a bit of that arrogance. From what we've seen in the past we won't be able to tell if his attitude becomes a hindrance until a year or two from now. Jeff Francoeur was overly confident when he broke into the Bigs with McCann. Everyone starting writing articles and interviewing those two as taking the torch from Smoltz and Chipper, and that they were local kids, and that screwed him up bad - might have screwed up McCann, too, but luckily he's just a lazy kid who likes playing baseball and sleeping. But for these wunderkind the 2nd and 3rd years can be brutal.

Trying to think of other rookies that flamed out. There was the huge pitcher out of Texas (the state, not college). Popovich? There was Joe Borchard with the White Sox but he never made it to actually become a hyped rookie. Rick Ankiel was hyped but his downfall wasn't attitude it was, well, he just snapped mentally. Oh, Sidd Finch and the pitcher the Yankees drafted #1 in the late 90s. Surely our Brew Crew fans remember Bob Hamelin...if anyone from the early days of the steroid era wasn't juicing but probably should have been it was him.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:52 am

The mental part of the game is what separates the true superstars from the others.

See: Rose, Pete; Jeter, Derek; Ripken Jr., Cal; Yount, Robin; etc, etc.

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Tue May 08, 2012 11:00 am

recte44 wrote:The mental part of the game is what separates the true superstars from the others.

See: Rose, Pete; Jeter, Derek; Ripken Jr., Cal; Yount, Robin; etc, etc.
One of those names doesn't belong there...

Jeter is a master of his emotions and his baseball IQ is off the charts, but I've always thought he was missing that "zone" that superstars can upshift into in playoff races and the postseason. Seeing Derek Jeter play in April is no different than seeing him play in October. You can't say that about the other guys you listed. Those other 3 guys would decleat their Momma if she was blocking home plate.

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:34 pm

A couple links for Harpers arm

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 9&c_id=mlb
- sorry for the annoying voiceover...

Al-Hoot

Post by Al-Hoot » Tue May 08, 2012 3:41 pm

bateague wrote:Seeing Derek Jeter play in April is no different than seeing him play in October.
heh

maybe that's not so bad, given that

in 15 ALDS he has a batting average of .341 with 10 homers
in 9 ALCS he has a batting average of .258 but an OBP of .340
in 7 WS he has a batting average of .321 and an OBP of .384

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MLB Talk”