Off to first spring training game . . . .

Discuss current Major League Baseball here.
scottsdale_joe
Ex-GM

Off to first spring training game . . . .

Post by scottsdale_joe » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:35 am

My wife and I are diehard Red Sox Fans, but it's a long drive to Fort Meyers.
So today we will be at the Giant's home spring training opener at Scottsdale Stadium.
We have Giant's season tickets for the spring. There are 16 home games. We will go to 14, skipping the two night games.
Night games interfere with my 5 PM cocktail hour. :)

Going today reminds me that me that my father took me to Scottsdale in 1960 to watch a week of Red Sox spring training.
They played at the same Scottsdale Stadium, but it was a ramshackle old wooden place back then, not the state-of-the-art facility it is today.
I got autographs (on a new baseball) from Ted WIlliams, Frank Malzone, Tommy Brewer, Bill Monbouquette, and Don Buddin.
I still have the ball.
In September later that year I was at Fenway Park to see Ted Williams hit a home run in the eighth inning in his last ever major league at bat (off Baltimore's Jack Fisher).
In the ninth he went back out to left field and then was replaced by Carroll Hardy and left to a standing ovation.
It seems like yesterday. In fact, it was 52 years ago.
Yikes.
Joe - GM UMEBA CAIRO PHARAOHS (2047-xxxx); Vancouver Mounties (1996-2009; 2035-2036); Halifax Hawks (2023-2026)Image LINKS:ImageImageImageImageImage

Al-Hoot

Re: Off to first spring training game . . . .

Post by Al-Hoot » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:51 pm

sounds great, Joe. Hope the weather's nice.

A Ted Williams baseball & his last home run? Fantastic!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MLB Talk”