Interesting post on the minor leagues

Discuss current Major League Baseball here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Interesting post on the minor leagues

Post by RonCo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:18 pm

GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: Interesting post on the minor leagues

Post by shoeless.db » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:02 am

This was a very interesting read. I'll just add my personal anecdote.

When I was in my teens and late teens (early 1990s), professional independent baseball came back to Bismarck in the form of the Dakota Rattlers. The team was poorly run, the field was awful, and the complex had one giant bleacher to sit, but attendance was decent and fans were extremely loyal. I still see a random Rattler hat on some old duffer now and again.

I was lucky enough to be an sports intern at our local paper during this time and was tasked with covering every home Rattler game. I got to know the players, the coaches, even the umpires. We had a couple guys play several summers for us. They became cult heroes. Kids lined the brick dugout after games to get autographs. It definitely felt like ours. When the team went under, there wasn't a huge outcry, but it still felt like we lost something important for our community.

A couple years ago, a new independent team opened shop -- the Bismarck Larks. Now in the Northwoods League, the quality of baseball is pretty good as the league consists of decent college players from around the country. But, I'll be honest, it doesn't feel like our team. The players feel so temporary. They're just on loan to us. It's great to have good baseball back in town, but it feels distant -- everyone involved wants to be somewhere else. And, it's sad as we have a great little ballpark -- cozy and fan friendly with a great backdrop. People show up, but what are we cheering for?
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:54 am

I grew up about a 4 hour drive to Boston, NYC, and Montreal. Sure, I watched baseball on TV but I fell in love with it because I got to go see Ron Kittle when he was tearing up the minors. I remember one day when he was going around town to different places to sign autographs; 1 per person though. I made my Dad take me to all 3 places he was at that day and I still have every item he signed for me that day. In high school, we got to play on that field a couple of times a season - even after the team was gone, I still looked forward to playing there.

Now....there is just an ECHL team there. (I also grew up with an AHL team there.) Sure, people still love baseball, but there are a lot of passionate hockey fans in my hometown. I would definitely be interesting to see what the results of that area would be when asked what people's favorite sport is around there.
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

FuzzyRawley
Ex-GM

Post by FuzzyRawley » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:12 am

When the Minor Leagues pulled out of Western Canada in the early 2000's, interest in baseball took a huge hit. It didn't help that the Expos moved and the Blue Jays were mediocre-to-horrible during the same time frame, but losing that link to MLB really pushed the sport to the back burner.
:cool: They say it don't be like it is, but it do!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MLB Talk”