AP: La Russa complains about fans, forgets about SP

Discuss current Major League Baseball here.
recte44
GB: Commissioner

AP: La Russa complains about fans, forgets about SP

Post by recte44 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:09 pm

MILWAUKEE (AP)—Cardinals manager Tony La Russa told reporters after Thursday's 10-5 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers that Milwaukee fans distracted him into leaving newly acquired Edwin Jackson in the game "about 12 hitters too long."

"I'll tell you what, these fans are a bunch of idiots," La Russa said after the game. "It took a lot more time than I expected to educate them, and, as a consequence, I let (Jackson) face a few too many hitters. But the fans of Milwaukee are better for it, even though my team might have suffered a bit today. Well, at least the fans I could yell at behind the dugout are smarter... I don't know about those other morons in the stadium."

"Between the scoreboard, stealing signs, taking candy from babies and fans distracting the manager during the game, it's no wonder this team wins so many games at home," La Russa continued. "I've never seen anything like it in all my years as a manager. And I've been the best manager in baseball for the last quarter century."

"And you call Big Mac a cheater for 'roiding up?" La Russa said.

In a game that didn't go as expected, La Russa appeared agitated on a number of occasions during the game- most notably when Brewer third baseman Casey McGehee hit his sixth, seventh and eighth home runs of the year. The Cardinal overlord called McGehee's actions "unconscionable" and "bush", and challenged the player to "learn about the history of baseball. You don't do things like hit three home runs against the St. Louis Cardinals. Especially when you have hit as poorly as (McGehee) has all year."

La Russa also hinted that McGehee might be in for a bit of payback.

"He needs to be careful when he starts his car tonight. That's all I'm gonna say."

Approached after the game, McGehee wasn't too bothered by La Russa's comments.

"That's how Tony rolls," McGehee said. "We just have to keep playing our game and keep grinding things out. Besides, I took a cab to the game today."

La Russa did admit to his first ever mistake as a manger, saying he "might have been a bit distracted" during the bottom of the 7th, an inning that he spend on the phone with Milwaukee color man Bill Schroeder.

"Did I forget about Jackson in the bottom of the seventh?" La Russa asked aloud. "I might have, but (Jackson) understands how important it is that I educate the fans of Milwaukee, and the fans of America. It was only one game and it was only ten runs... but more than that, Brewer fans will have a better understanding of baseball now than they had before today. That's bigger than wins and losses."

"It was very cordial" La Russa said of the phone call with Schroeder. "As the keepers of baseball etiquette, we have a greater responsibility than any other team in baseball. Bill understands that now."

Asked if he'd change anything about today, La Russa thought for a minute. Then, in typical La Russa fashion...

"Yep, I'd have drilled that jerk McGehee after his second home run."

With today's win Milwaukee moves to 3.5 games ahead of the Cardinals in the NL Central.

-- End story --

7teen
BBA GM

Re: AP: La Russa complains about fans, forgets about SP

Post by 7teen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:15 pm

It looks like the Brewers get to listen to the "Whiny Little Bitches" this year.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

recte44

Post by recte44 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:16 pm

Did you see the night before??? LaRussa actually complained that "the lights were darker when the Cardinals were batting". And we were apparently stealing signals, but only in the 5th inning....sure, that's the only way we could hit Chris Carpenter.

Classless douchebag. Scum of the baseball universe. That's LaRussa.

blake
Ex-GM

Post by blake » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Theyre big babies when they dont get their way in St. Louis. What a bunch of whiners. Just like the Reds last year, the Brewers will win this year. It sounds like hes trying to steal the division again. Part of being a class act is accepting defeat gracefully.

blake
Ex-GM

Post by blake » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:23 pm

recte44 wrote:Did you see the night before??? LaRussa actually complained that "the lights were darker when the Cardinals were batting". And we were apparently stealing signals, but only in the 5th inning....sure, that's the only way we could hit Chris Carpenter.

Classless douchebag. Scum of the baseball universe. That's LaRussa.
Man, hes really losing it. Hes approaching a level of tyranny and corruption thats really bizarre. So out of touch that guy now.

recte44

Post by recte44 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Then Pujols got hit accidentally, which was clear given the game situation.....the next inning he leaves Motte (his hardest thrower) in to simply throw at Braun. They hit Braun, no one gets tossed.

After the game LaRussa proceeds to lecture on how no one should pitch Albert up and in because "that's how he got hurt", and calls our fans "idiots".

Stay classy, Tony.

LambeauLeap
Ex-GM

Post by LambeauLeap » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:38 pm

I heard on the radio this AM that at the game I was at (Monday) as LaRussa walked back to the dugout someone yelled "Have another drink tony, just don't' drive" and he apparently gave the guy a stare-down...
Brad Browne
Editor, Guam Today
---
1986: Chicago Black Sox (73-89)
1987-1991: Valencia Stars/Suns (341-469)
1998-2005: Austin Riverbats/Marquette Suns (697-600)

blake
Ex-GM

Post by blake » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:41 pm

Yeah, he drinks. Hes getting senile now. Hes really losing it. They must yell it at him constantly. Hes starting to crack it looks like.

LambeauLeap
Ex-GM

Post by LambeauLeap » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:45 pm

WHen his picture came up on the screen, it reminded me of this.
Brad Browne
Editor, Guam Today
---
1986: Chicago Black Sox (73-89)
1987-1991: Valencia Stars/Suns (341-469)
1998-2005: Austin Riverbats/Marquette Suns (697-600)

recte44

Post by recte44 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:54 pm

LambeauLeap wrote:I heard on the radio this AM that at the game I was at (Monday) as LaRussa walked back to the dugout someone yelled "Have another drink tony, just don't' drive" and he apparently gave the guy a stare-down...
Some fan said to him (i'm not making this up): "I HOPE YOU GET THE SHINGLES AGAIN!!!"

Classic.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:58 am

Too bad you couldn't face or have to listen to Chris Carpenter. I'm not sure who is the bigger baby between Carpenter, La Russa, and Molina. Carpenter whined in Cincinnati earlier this year because of the smoke left behind by the fireworks shot off after the Reds hit a homerun. 2 years ago, the Cards complained that the Reds baseballs weren't rubbed down properly and were too slick. Earlier this year, Carpenter complained that the Reds mound wasn't built properly.

Thus why Brandon Phillips called them, and their fans, a bunch of whiny little bitches.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

KCCardinalFan
Ex-GM

Post by KCCardinalFan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:25 am

Larussa has definitely worn out his welcome with a lot of the fans as well. You certainly have some rope when you are Larussa, because like it or not the guy has the Cardinals in the playoffs nearly every damn year, has won the series, and most importantly Dave Duncan is attached to his hip. I don't know, I think he will manage there as long as he wants to but the constant amount of bs gets old.
General Manager of the Calgary Marauders, 1998-2002; Chicago Black Sox, 2017 - Present
Frick League Wildcard Winner: 1998, 1999, 2001
Frick League Pacific Division Winner: 2000
MBBA General Manager of the Year: 2000

TimB
Ex-GM

Post by TimB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 am

Yup I have no idea of the background to all this but one thing I do know is Larussa is one scary mofo with that hair. He is Baseball's Al Davis. An undead monstrosity.
Larussa

Undead AL

Spot the difference

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MLB Talk”