Braves trade Kimbrel

Discuss current Major League Baseball here.
cheekimonk
BBA GM

Braves trade Kimbrel

Post by cheekimonk » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:58 am

Sooo... the Braves trade Kimbrel Saturday. BUT, they get the Padres' #1 prospect, another OF prospect, and dump the remaining $46.35 mil owed Melvin (nee B.J.) Upton. That last part was worth it alone. Also, what's the best closer in the game worth on a 70-win team? And how long can a closer typically keep up the stuff Kimbrel throws? Will he be the same in 2017 when the Braves open their new stadium and are aiming to compete? They also got a draft pick, 2 outfielders (Cameron Maybin, who's better than Upton...but so is a pet rock, and Carlos Quentin who I don't see sticking in the majors).

Honestly? You take Upton's 3 years, $46.35 mil and we'll work out the rest. Kimbrel for you top prospect, another solid prospect, and a draft pick - toss in 2 OFs - and we're good. You guys know how good I am with trades (none good) but I think this is one that looks like a Pads' win, but actually tips towards the Braves...hugely tips, possibly.
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Re: Braves trade Kimbrel

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:59 am

Kimbrel's a great closer, but this is pure Moneyball. Billy Beane has done this about ten times.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MLB Talk”