MLB & Velocity

Discuss current Major League Baseball here.
cheekimonk
BBA GM

MLB & Velocity

Post by cheekimonk » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:09 am

In the 90s and 00s there was a heavy focus on every kid throwing as hard as they can. Eventually, the complaints about that myopic view, and what it was doing to young men's arms, spread the actual "pitching" back into the mix. But broadcasts I've been watching the last 2-3 yrs, wading in analytics, have been using velocity for everything from a measure of how much, and if, a pitcher is done (career-wise) to when a pitching is laboring. I get the latter point, but it just seems to be we've circled back to just telling kids/prospects to throw as hard as you can if you want to move up the ladder. Thoughts?
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Re: MLB & Velocity

Post by DaveB » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:29 pm

cheekimonk wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:09 am
In the 90s and 00s there was a heavy focus on every kid throwing as hard as they can. Eventually, the complaints about that myopic view, and what it was doing to young men's arms, spread the actual "pitching" back into the mix. But broadcasts I've been watching the last 2-3 yrs, wading in analytics, have been using velocity for everything from a measure of how much, and if, a pitcher is done (career-wise) to when a pitching is laboring. I get the latter point, but it just seems to be we've circled back to just telling kids/prospects to throw as hard as you can if you want to move up the ladder. Thoughts?
It’s a different world between the 90’s-00’s and now. Back then they wanted pitch to contact, work fast, change speeds. Now it’s all about strikeouts, walks, homers, and spin rates. I hated the Braves during the 90’s and 00’s because they eliminated the Pirates in 92, but man I used to love watching Maddux, Glavine, and Avery pitch. You just don’t see guys like that these days and if you see them it’s in AAA because they don’t get a chance.
2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:27 am

I'd guess it's harder to hit a 98 MPH cutter than a 92 MPH cutter.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

DaveB
GB: JL Atlantic Division Director

Post by DaveB » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:43 am

Good possibility. Another thing you don’t see in MLB is pitchers working deep into games. I’m surprised you don’t see teams trying to develop the kids who pitch and hit well in high school or college as a two way player since they can’t have more than 13 pitchers on the active roster.
2046-47 UMEBA Champ for Mumbai Metro Stars
2050 UMEBA Champ for Jerusalem Hebrew Hammers

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:44 pm

As long as they can use the option train, roster slots are not massively important.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:46 am

I was thinking about this topic regarding something that may be related to the board, but may not be. Something I feel like we are now seeing as just accepted as any pitch is breaking balls diving into the dirt ahead of the plate. That was a very seriously "bad thing" growing up. I'm not sure what purpose that serves...seems too much to try to get the hitter to chase and what pitch could you be setting up by burying the ball?
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “MLB Talk”