I Started a Juice Fast

Non-league talk in here. Please make NSFW *links* and not pics.
Al-Hoot

Re: I Started a Juice Fast

Post by Al-Hoot » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:24 am

It's probably very important to have an 'accountability' buddy or other support to help keep to it.

mrbornac
Ex-GM

Post by mrbornac » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 am

Agreed
General Manager
Buffalo Bison : 2002 - ?
Record 1,496 - 1,582 .486 (The wheels came off)
Twitter: @mbba_Bison

2017 Landis Memorial Champions
2017 Frick League Champion
2017, 2016, 2007, 2004 FLA Winner
2014, 2017 Frick League Wild Card Winner

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 am

Al-Hoot wrote:It's probably very important to have an 'accountability' buddy or other support to help keep to it.
Heh... my GF was even more gun-ho about it than me and she crashed and burned the very 1st day (of course, she doesn't actually need to lose any weight - so I guess less motivation?).
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Al-Hoot

Post by Al-Hoot » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:32 am

One day? And she's still your gf?! ;)

I made my first batch of juice, but couldn't finish it. Apparently one large jalapeño really is too much as part of a quart of juice.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:32 am

Al-Hoot wrote:One day? And she's still your gf?! ;)

I made my first batch of juice, but couldn't finish it. Apparently one large jalapeño really is too much as part of a quart of juice.
Ugh, that sounds horrible. I put one green pepper and a handful of parsley in my first batch and had to tilt my head back and chug, haha.

An update: 7 days and 15 lbs down. I went for my usual 3 mile run last night (after taking a couple days off to ride bikes, do yoga, etc.) and did it in 39 minutes feeling great as opposed to 45 minutes and feeling crappy. Before the fast my ankles and achilles would feel like they were on fire and my ashtma would kick up real bad... but my body feels great and my lungs didn't spasm once.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

mrbornac
Ex-GM

Post by mrbornac » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:21 am

Awesome man, that is great news!
General Manager
Buffalo Bison : 2002 - ?
Record 1,496 - 1,582 .486 (The wheels came off)
Twitter: @mbba_Bison

2017 Landis Memorial Champions
2017 Frick League Champion
2017, 2016, 2007, 2004 FLA Winner
2014, 2017 Frick League Wild Card Winner

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:57 am

Update: 11 days and 21 lbs down... I tried to just drink water this weekend after reading a considerable amount of literature about water fasting and felt like absolute crap so I am back to juice. With my goal for the entire 21 days already in sight (240 - at 246 already) I am debating whether I want to start transitioning to a 'normal' diet on Thursday (14 days on the fast) or to keep going the full 21. On one hand I am VERY anxious to get back in the gym and doing P90x (all I have really been able to do is jog/ride bikes occasionally and walk/stretch most days - cramps are naturally a huge issue when I overdo it), but on the other it seems almost crazy to abondon something working so well. Either way; however, I have already started working on my post-fast transition plan (you need to work food back in very slowly or else you'll get sick) and am also doing some long term planning about how to eat better after it is all said and done (particuliarly with respect to recipe alterations since I love to cook).
-Ron, 2025 media guide

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:00 pm

7 lbs in 7 days for me...was 7 in 4, but had to leave diet for a bit (away from home), but managed to not put any on! Back on, and hoping for another 7 this week!

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:04 pm

felipe wrote:7 lbs in 7 days for me...was 7 in 4, but had to leave diet for a bit (away from home), but managed to not put any on! Back on, and hoping for another 7 this week!
On the shake diet or did you try the juice?

Btw, today is day 14 and the last day on the juice fast for me. After 13 days I'm down 24lbs... probably looking to make it at least 25 (maybe 26) in 14 by tomorrow morning. As such, that would set me at 242 while staring down a long (10ish days) transition to a 'normal' diet during which I'll no doubt lose even more (my first 3 days, for example, I can only eat raw fruits, veggies and nuts)... have to be very careful breaking a fast because your digestive system is pretty tender upon re-start (the bacteria in your tract has thinned out, your stomach has shrunk, etc.).

Looking to be 235 (-32) after 24 days and ready to start a full workout regiment and 'normal' diet again to maintain for a bit. At 242 I'm looking good and fitting into 36 pants again (good thing I saved them!) with alot more energy (biked 10 miles yesterday) and no ashtma issues whatsoever.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:44 pm

Shake diet

I watched the movie - then two days later it appeared on tv, and I made my family watch it.

I could never, would never, want to juice - it just looks unappetizing, and for me unsustainable

We now do everything fresh though, used to be all frozen or canned, (convenience), but that movie really hit home.

Fresh really does taste better, and I find myself lookin forward to my mountain of veggies at night, (always cooked, but fresh), where as in the past I'd have to force my frozen veggie mixtures down!

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:01 pm

felipe wrote:Fresh really does taste better, and I find myself lookin forward to my mountain of veggies at night, (always cooked, but fresh), where as in the past I'd have to force my frozen veggie mixtures down!
Yeah, that is definitely a big thing I've taken as well. I always was well stocked with frozen blueberries and peaches for protein shake smoothies (post-workouts) and frozen broccoli, etc. A bit for convenience, but also because of price (the main problem with American to begin with - bad food health-wise is unilaterally cheaper). Now; however, I'm going to be moving to full fresh (it really isn't THAT much more expensive if you know where to look).

Also, another tip I picked up that I wanted to share was that we should STEAM our veggies when we cook them. Studies have shown that a staggering 97-99% of a vegetables nutrients are lost when microwaved. Something like 86-90% is lost when they are boiled and only a mere 17-20% is lost when steamed. I know its an extra pain in the ass, but I went out and bought a coliander ($5 at Target) which should make it considerably easier*.

*Fill a pot with boiling water, fill the coliander with the veggies, place over the pot on heat.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Good tip, I have been throwing them on the electric grill

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:31 pm

felipe wrote:Good tip, I have been throwing them on the electric grill
That is probably pretty good as well (as would stir-frying - assuming you aren't using butter or excessive oil [and using good oils])... haven't seen metrics on them, though.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

kestu
Ex-GM

Post by kestu » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 am

Just seeing this thread now - interesting stuff. I went on a juice fast with my wife back in February with a plan of going for a full week - I lasted a grand total of 3 days, but lost 8 pounds during those 3 days. I was not hungry at all, but honestly love food too much and was getting dizzy/having an accelerated heart rate, so I stopped. I have switched over to eating very healthy during the week, occasionally juicing in the morning for breakfast and only having a good meal (I'm a huge pasta/rice fan) on the weekends. Has worked for me, as I've lost about 25 pounds in total over the course of the last 6 months - about 15 since February.

I have not excercised in a while, too busy with kids/work, but now that weather is getting better and work will slow down in mid-May, I expect to lose more once I start excercising again.

Al-Hoot

Post by Al-Hoot » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:26 am

It's definitely wise to discontinue a fast or diet of any kind if it starts messing with your heart rate. Congrats on sticking to healthier eating and weight loss.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Off Topic Chatter”