Pro basketball simulation?

Non-league talk in here. Please make NSFW *links* and not pics.
johnd2442
Ex-GM

Pro basketball simulation?

Post by johnd2442 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:14 am

I don't know if there are any basketball fans in the BBA universe? With how much I've enjoyed OOTP in the brief time I've been here, and how I'm decreasing my fandom of the NBA steadily, I'm entertaining a thought about a pro basketball sim game.

I remember buying this game from Wolverine Studios about 10 years ago and loving it. It looks like it has only improved. I was tempted to buy it again and try an online league and I didn't know if anyone else here played this game?

Wolverine Studios Draft Day Basketball
Cairo Chariot Archers, 2042 -
General Manager: John Diaz

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Re: Pro basketball simulation?

Post by johnd2442 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:25 am

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:06 pm

No, never seen it before. Unfortunately it's not available on Mac.

Sounds weird being a member of the BBA, but when it comes to solo play, I don't love fictional players (at least right out the gate)...I can handle the transition from real to fictional over time but without having other GMs flesh out players, it doesn't do it for me. I didn't look into the game enough since it's not available for my platform, but the knock-off non-licensed team names and logos (Heat = Burn, Celtics = Irish, Warriors = Spartans, Grizzlies = Roar) and is kinda corny. Hopefully it allows you to customize those more.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:12 pm

jleddy wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:06 pm
No, never seen it before. Unfortunately it's not available on Mac.

Sounds weird being a member of the BBA, but when it comes to solo play, I don't love fictional players (at least right out the gate)...I can handle the transition from real to fictional over time but without having other GMs flesh out players, it doesn't do it for me. I didn't look into the game enough since it's not available for my platform, but the knock-off non-licensed team names and logos (Heat = Burn, Celtics = Irish, Warriors = Spartans, Grizzlies = Roar) and is kinda corny. Hopefully it allows you to customize those more.
Yeah, I thought not having it compatible for Mac was a big miss. I wonder if they lose customers because of that. But I am with you with not loving fictional players right off the bat. I mean, I can do it like with my UMEBA team, but that would be great, having real players, then transition to fictional ones.

I think like with OOTP, you can do roster/logo/team patches. I remember that occurred back in the day for the Draft Day Sports pro basketball game I played. Even independent of an online league, guys on the forum would make patches like I'm sure guys on the OOTP forums must. Though it appears OOTP has an MLB license since I saw the MLB logo in the game.

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Post by Joshua Biddle » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:07 pm

I always liked the Wolverine Studios games, but they never seemed to have online custom leagues with fictional teams available.

In a few leagues that run using Fast Break Pro Basketball 3, which is a solid sim.

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:22 pm

I wonder why that is. Maybe pro basketball attracts a younger crowd? Maybe what Stephen was saying on the podcast with Ron the other day, that maybe online league are decreasing, that could be the case with pro basketball if it is true that online leagues aren't successful as you say. Like I wrote, the last pro basketball sim league I was in was about 10 years ago. Instead, since then, I've been doing fantasy basketball, but since the stoppage of the NBA, I'm realizing that it wasn't all that enjoyable. And maybe I'd enjoy an online league more.

@Joshua Biddle, is the Fast Break Pro Basketball game through Grey Dog software? I think they partnered with Brian Nichols (I think that was his name - his forum name was 'heavyreign' - why do I remember that!) and he made Fast Break College Basketball which was so fun. I think @RonCo had a league using that game! I'll have to look at their forums - and the game itself - and check out their leagues. How many leagues are you in with that game?

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:35 pm

I played in a college FBCB league run by radii. It was fun enough. The recruiting was interesting, anyway. The game of basketball isn't as complex as the game of baseball is when it comes to simulation in an online environment...and I don't think I ever got interested enough to complete an entire game as a coach of my college team. I guess it all depends n whether you're interested in being a true bench coach or not.

People have been saying online leagues are dying since 2003 or so...whenever I started playing in them. But all I can say for sure is that as long as an OOTP community stays vibrant and interested in itself, the league will thrive. The BBA is a great example of that.

Ultimately, I long ago determined about myself that I am not happy dealing with multiple sports or multiple leagues. But that's just me.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:44 pm

RonCo wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:35 pm
Ultimately, I long ago determined about myself that I am not happy dealing with multiple sports or multiple leagues. But that's just me.
In this regard, I think I'm very much the same way which will probably be what ultimately prevents me from joining a pro basketball online sim league.

drummerJ99
Ex-GM

Post by drummerJ99 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:03 am

I have the game. It's pretty good. I got really into their games about a year ago. Bought their NCCA FB, NBA & NFL games. But I still don't have as much fun as OOTP, as there just is no stories or anything to it. It's just a sim. Even joined a league for both the NCCA & NFL but it just didn't hold my interest. Frankly I've been spoiled by OOTP and hard to match up.

I think their NBA game is the best of the 3 I've played and it looks the best.

You can download rosters and picture pack on their forums for it.
GBC Sydney Sharks: 2055-
Montreal Blazers: 2041-2044, 2049-2051
UMEBA Istanbul Bosphorus: 2039 & 2040

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:30 am

Ahh! You're going to make me not just buy the game but look into joining a league! It is really helpful to read someone's account that's actually played it.

drummerJ99
Ex-GM

Post by drummerJ99 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:02 am

johnd2442 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:30 am
Ahh! You're going to make me not just buy the game but look into joining a league! It is really helpful to read someone's account that's actually played it.
Check out their forums or Twitter. They normally promote any leagues there. Really not sire of there are any for their Pro Basketball game or not.
GBC Sydney Sharks: 2055-
Montreal Blazers: 2041-2044, 2049-2051
UMEBA Istanbul Bosphorus: 2039 & 2040

johnd2442
Ex-GM

Post by johnd2442 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:05 am

drummerJ99 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:02 am
johnd2442 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:30 am
Check out their forums or Twitter. They normally promote any leagues there. Really not sire of there are any for their Pro Basketball game or not.
Yeah, the Wolverine forums are pretty lean for private leagues. I was surprised about that. I feel like it is a mostly younger crowd who are into pro basketball sim leagues, at least the ones I've been in. And then some of those guys don't even own the game which must be a pain for the commissioner. Maybe it is what Ron said above - that a pro basketball sim isn't as comprehensive as OOTP, for example, and that draws a mostly younger crowd. I'm not too sure about that...but it is a theory.

Joshua Biddle
Ex-GM

Post by Joshua Biddle » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:02 am

johnd2442 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:22 pm
I wonder why that is. Maybe pro basketball attracts a younger crowd? Maybe what Stephen was saying on the podcast with Ron the other day, that maybe online league are decreasing, that could be the case with pro basketball if it is true that online leagues aren't successful as you say. Like I wrote, the last pro basketball sim league I was in was about 10 years ago. Instead, since then, I've been doing fantasy basketball, but since the stoppage of the NBA, I'm realizing that it wasn't all that enjoyable. And maybe I'd enjoy an online league more.

@Joshua Biddle, is the Fast Break Pro Basketball game through Grey Dog software? I think they partnered with Brian Nichols (I think that was his name - his forum name was 'heavyreign' - why do I remember that!) and he made Fast Break College Basketball which was so fun. I think @RonCo had a league using that game! I'll have to look at their forums - and the game itself - and check out their leagues. How many leagues are you in with that game?
Yes, it's Grey Dog

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:33 pm

I own a copy of the greydog basketball game. More like Baseball Mogul then OOTP. I usually just try to build super teams in the 80s/90s cause I'm not a huge basketball fan.

Their pro wrestling game (TEW) is pretty amazing if you are into that kind of thing. A new version is about to drop in a week or so.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Off Topic Chatter”