DnD On the Forums, Anyone?

Non-league talk in here. Please make NSFW *links* and not pics.
agrudez
Ex-GM

DnD On the Forums, Anyone?

Post by agrudez » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:50 am

As I mentioned in Bornac's thread about his teamspeak DnD games, I have been playing a forum based DnD game over at the league that shall not be named and it's been awesome. I have enjoyed it so much (as my first real experience with DnD) that a few weeks back I started writing my own campaign and eventually posted on a forum that does a lot of DnD play by post forum games looking for a party to play it. Unfortunately, the party has been REALLY flakey and it just doesn't seem viable, but you can get an idea for how the game has been structured thus far here.

Then I remembered Bornac's thread and that a few members (namely Brett and Ted - and don't worry, PMs are inc!) expressed interest, but couldn't commit to sitting down at a table consistently to play. Well, guess what, guys... I can't either! Get home from work at 6, put son to bed at 7, play with daughter 'til 9, feed son (whom is STILL waking up at 8 months - that bastard) at 11. No DnD time for me, but that is exactly why forum games are the best. It only takes 5-10 minutes to log in and post a move - then check in after a few more hours and repeat. And if you don't have computer access during the day, you can even do it by phone!

At any rate, with the sales pitch over, I'll get to the bare bones. I really want to get a game going as DM. I have tons of story written and battles planned, but need a party to share them with. I'm looking for at least 3 players, but the more the merrier if we get a ton of interest. Who wants to nerd up and join me?!

-----

Edit for info dump on PbP games...

So the way games on the forum work is much like how (I assume - having none done one) they go at the table - just that it stretches over a longer period of time rather than requiring a concentration of hours. In combat, I will roll init for enemies and PCs and then provide the init order and a rough battlefield sketch. An example of this can be seen below:
agrudez wrote: the init order is...
Fangir (12)
Clarissa (15)
dual dagger goblin 1 (0)
dual dagger goblin 2 (0)
Tarrik (5/9, 1 spell slot used)
one handed sword goblin 1 (0)
one handed sword goblin 2 (0)
one handed sword goblin 3 (0)
one handed sword goblin 4 (0 - STUNNED)
woman in tower (1)
Cruben (15)

The battlefield:

Take note of the squares separating you and the goblins. I don't believe anyone has the speed to actually get into meele at the current distance (each square is 5 ft). The 4 black pawns in a row are the sword goblins at the door, the two behind are the dagger goblins looking on. Cruden is the closest to the enemies.
Then you act in order. In the above example, right off the bat both Fangir and Clarissa can go whenever they want since they both act before enemies. Tarrik; however, must wait until after his 2 allies + the 2 enemies that separate him from them in init go. To keep the pace of the game going better, Tarrik can "cue" an action (ie. tell the DM what he'll probably want to do when his turn comes up - even including multiple options based on situation) or if he thinks he'll be around later he can simply wait until it is his turn. So on and so forth through the rest of the battle.

Players roll attacks, damage and skills (when they choose to use them). DM rolls inits, saves and skills (when the situation calls for passive ability checks) - plus, of course, all enemy actions.

Out of combat, the maybe biggest change from the table version, is that at times a lot of the conversation and party leadership will be occurring without the full party present. The game doesn't move all that fast, though, so generally if you can check in every handful of hours or so then you can still contribute to ongoing interactions. And, on days where you can't be as engaged, you can simply read up when you can and catch up with the story before contributing. Sometimes that means the party might make a decision you would not have, but sometimes that is exactly what was needed to put the party into an interesting situation!

-----

Edit 2 for info dump on the version of the game will use - DnD 5e.

You can find various materials here for free download - including the ever important player's handbook (PHB).

You can find a free online source to create character sheets here. Unfortunately this doesn't calculate things like HP, AC, etc. for you; however, the PHB is pretty clear how to calculate those things and I can help you get it right - so don't let it stress you out. If you're new to the game and trying to get your footing, I would be happy to make a character sheet for you based on some verbal cues from you ("I want to be a fighter with defensive spells, I want to be an elf that attacks long range, etc."), too. Classes aren't *that* much different than one another at lvl 1 so the start of a sheet is mostly tedium. You can grow your character as you will moving on from there.

You can find a collection of additional sub-class options here which augment player choices over what the PHB has.

We will be using a point-buy system for attributes - a calculator for which can be found here. HP will just be max+mod at 1st lvl and avg+mod after as dictated by the PHB for your given class.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

moonlightmerc
Ex-GM

Re: DnD On the Forums, Anyone?

Post by moonlightmerc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:51 pm

Looks like fun. Im sure I will be around to play.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:04 pm

moonlightmerc wrote:Looks like fun. Im sure I will be around to play.
Glad to hear it! As promised, I updated the OP with some info dump. If you have any other questions about how things flow in these let me know. Other than that, feel free to jump into creating your character! I also edited some resources into the OP at the bottom, too, to help with that endeavor.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:15 pm

First, for any DnD vets and for newbie, take time to read that 5th edition players handbook. It's different now. In a lot of really good ways. Basically, your low level characters can put out a lot more damage and have more abilities right off the bat. Gone or the days of

"Ragnar attacks the piddley shit monster with his rusty garbage sword"
DM "You miss. The piddley shit monster attacks, he misses"
and this repeats for 20 turns

The campaign I'm playing now have an average level three group and are in fights that say a second or third edition DnD group wouldn't have been in until level 8 or 9. If we didn't have a good handle on all our player abilities and weren't playing off of each other, we'd be getting destroyed, but since we do, we're doing fine.

So read the book. It's good pooping material, plus the pictures are nice.

Secondly, I don't know if I'm down for the whole forum thing. I enjoy sitting in a dark basement nerdin' it up. Prolonged attention to something I have to keep checking isn't really my bag, but I'll give it some thought.
Last edited by Ted on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:33 pm

Lvl 3 seems to be one each class gets "fun" so i planned to speed towards that. Lvl 5 or 6 seems to be when they all really come into their own, though.

As for the constant check in concept, its best attribute for me (much like ootp) is as a diversion during work. Also i dont have free time for long sit down sessions. If things progress well, battles rarely last the whole day and plot can move pretty quick at times. At the very least i would suggest you try it to see if you like it, but i may be biased, lol.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:36 pm

I'm down
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:37 pm

cheekimonk wrote:I'm down
Ben!
-Ron, 2025 media guide

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:11 pm

I cant yet. Its peak season at work. I just got home a bit ago. 13+ hour days are super cool during a blizzard!
GM Vancouver Mounties

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:01 am

Another reason this probably won't work for me is I'm usually awake 8pm to 12 pm. Doesn't really work with a forum based game unless you want to wait all damn day every day.
Ted Schmidt

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:22 am

Ted wrote:Another reason this probably won't work for me is I'm usually awake 8pm to 12 pm. Doesn't really work with a forum based game unless you want to wait all damn day every day.
You have 0 access before 8PM?

I'm anticipating the "peak" hours for the game to be M-F 9P-5P (while I'm at work) and then M-F 9P-12P (after the kids go to bed). There will be some amount of posting between the gap and on weekends, but it'll be more intermittent than at those times. My intent is for the game to move at a decent pace which would require, imo, PCs checking in every 2-3 hours on average at least. During non-combat (travelling, conversations, etc.) there really only needs to be one PC active to move things along and the rest can check up. During combat everyone is, obviously, required to participate - though you can ask someone else to take your turn or "queue" actions if you know you'll be busy all afternoon.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:24 am

bschr682 wrote:I cant yet. Its peak season at work. I just got home a bit ago. 13+ hour days are super cool during a blizzard!
Yeah, I remembered what you do and thought that might be the case. I will point out, though, that checking your phone every handful of hours and posting from there would be sufficient for participation.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:22 am

I'd like to play if there's still space. I have zero experience with this stuff though.
Adam Dyck
Cairo Chariot Archers Baseball Club, General Manager 2043-Present

Edmonton Jackrabbits, General Manager 2029
Belfast North Stars, General Manager 2028
Havana Sugar Kings, General Manager 2022-2027

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:47 am

I've PM'd everyone that has expressed interest, but for all others reading the thread, I think (as long as no one here is vehemently opposed) I'm going to continue to take advantage of Giant in the Playground's dice functions and such and continue the game there. I already have one really good, active guy over there waiting for the game to boot back up, too, so once the MBBA invades it we should be able to get started back up soon.

The OOC thread is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... st21485944

The IC thread is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... st21488776

I'm hoping that we can get things going again (ie. everyone has their char sheets done) by Monday morning. I'm going to finish the current battle this weekend while you guys work on getting your stuff together by botting 3/4ths of the party with the other guy and then craft the narrative of them leaving and you guys joining.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:21 pm

agrudez wrote:
bschr682 wrote:I cant yet. Its peak season at work. I just got home a bit ago. 13+ hour days are super cool during a blizzard!
Yeah, I remembered what you do and thought that might be the case. I will point out, though, that checking your phone every handful of hours and posting from there would be sufficient for participation.
I wouldn't keep up. not even close. I basically never get the chance to check my phone while working so id be AWOL every weekday from 8 til whenever im done which is usually late.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:07 pm

agrudez wrote:
Ted wrote:Another reason this probably won't work for me is I'm usually awake 8pm to 12 pm. Doesn't really work with a forum based game unless you want to wait all damn day every day.
You have 0 access before 8PM?

I'm anticipating the "peak" hours for the game to be M-F 9P-5P (while I'm at work) and then M-F 9P-12P (after the kids go to bed). There will be some amount of posting between the gap and on weekends, but it'll be more intermittent than at those times. My intent is for the game to move at a decent pace which would require, imo, PCs checking in every 2-3 hours on average at least. During non-combat (travelling, conversations, etc.) there really only needs to be one PC active to move things along and the rest can check up. During combat everyone is, obviously, required to participate - though you can ask someone else to take your turn or "queue" actions if you know you'll be busy all afternoon.
Not zero, but very little. I go to sleep between 11 am and 2 pm and wake up between 7 pm to 10 pm most days. Not really gonna work well for this. Everyone will be waiting on me most of the time.
Ted Schmidt

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 pm

A quick update for everybody interested (so far that is Adam, Ben and moonlightmerc - with Ron and Brett as maybes down the road): I PM'd Matt about trying to get the dice mod installed on the forums here and he said he'd look into it. Kind of waiting to see how that turns out as my preference would be to have the game here as opposed to the other forum (less things in my favorites bar, heh).
-Ron, 2025 media guide

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Yea im probably in at a later date. Right now id grind everything to a screeching halt. Also if im in, you can probably twist Freds arm and he'll be in haha.
GM Vancouver Mounties

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:58 am

it's too bad you guys aren't meeting at a physical location

I'd swing by your house with my buddies from the smoking section, and we'd administer copious swirlies, indian burns, and noogies

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Off Topic Chatter”